Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock Question.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Unlock Question.
    I know unlocking has no laws in Canada, but I am confused about the process. So unlocking a phone is when you allow it to run on any carrier when it's locked to a carrier, right? Because if you buy a phone that's unlocked from the manufacturer it's totally fine, right? Just looking for clarification on this subject.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Absolutely. You are modifying the firmware to allow a locked phone to be used with another GSM carrier of your choice. You can buy unlocked phones that come this way from the factory which have the huge benefit of never being locked again unlike software unlocks. It is cheaper to buy a phone that has to have a software lock and just make sure you never update the firmware until the jailbreak community deems it safe to do so.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Spudski (2010-06-13)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Absolutely. You are modifying the firmware to allow a locked phone to be used with another GSM carrier of your choice. You can buy unlocked phones that come this way from the factory which have the huge benefit of never being locked again unlike software unlocks. It is cheaper to buy a phone that has to have a software lock and just make sure you never update the firmware until the jailbreak community deems it safe to do so.
    Thanks for the help! So I think I'm gonna buy one factory unlocked and then get a MicroSIM plan on it. I am not going to jailbreak a new phone! LOL! Thank you for clearing my confusion!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

:P even a factory unlocked I think you should still consider jailbreaking the phone.

Jailbroken phones have so much more goodies compared to a stock iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    :P even a factory unlocked I think you should still consider jailbreaking the phone.

Jailbroken phones have so much more goodies compared to a stock iPhone.
    Yea, jailbreaking is epic and I love everything about it! I'm just saying, I'm not gonna jailbreak a brand new iPhone due to warranty reasons, because I'm not sure if Apple does any diagnosis on a device if you send it back for warranty issues. Plus, iOS4 is pretty good (I've been using it for a few days now) so I don't think there will be an immediate need for a jailbreak until I feel I'll need new features.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well, they cant tell if you always restore the phone to factory settings before going to them.

But hey, whatever makes ya happy! I just couldnt live without my multitasking and speed tweaks via terminal and ssh

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Well, they cant tell if you always restore the phone to factory settings before going to them.

But hey, whatever makes ya happy! I just couldnt live without my multitasking and speed tweaks via terminal and ssh
    I get your point. I'm just concerned that they run a diagnostics test to discover if the phone is jailbroken or not. And who knows, they may prosecute you by not ruturnig your phone, hahahaha i know i always go to the worst case scenario but hey, it's possible LOL

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

They can tell, but they do not test the phones. One1 has had software that can do this since way back in the day.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    They can tell, but they do not test the phones. One1 has had software that can do this since way back in the day.
    Ok, I see. Thanks!