Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: O2 - sim locked iPhone 3G S query

Question O2 - sim locked iPhone 3G S query
    Hi, I have bought a brand new sealed O2 sim locked iPhone 3G S from the UK, but I am not an O2 customer.. I simply want to unlock the phone so that I can use my brand new iPhone with another sim. I am of the impression that O2 customers (pay monthly/pay and go) are able to unlock their phone via O2 directly.. does this apply for non O2 customers please?

thanks

yes you can
    you need O2 sim with 15GBP on it
    then fill the form in their site
    then you officially unlocked your iphone

i'm working on it .. waiting for my sim

Quote Originally Posted by harjafsormok View Post
    Hi, I have bought a brand new sealed O2 sim locked iPhone 3G S from the UK, but I am not an O2 customer.. I simply want to unlock the phone so that I can use my brand new iPhone with another sim. I am of the impression that O2 customers (pay monthly/pay and go) are able to unlock their phone via O2 directly.. does this apply for non O2 customers please?

thanks
    See this site

O2 | iPhone Unlocking | Find out about unlocking your iPhone

"Thanks for visiting the O2 Online Shop

Unfortunately, we are unable to sell to countries outside the UK."

:/ Thanks for the info 'i hope so', will check out the form.

I was wondering.. can anyone tell me difference, apart from legitimacy and the 15, in unlocking with O2 or asking someone to do it for you?

Thanks

"Thanks for visiting the O2 Online Shop

Unfortunately, we are unable to sell to countries outside the UK."

:/ Thanks for the info 'i hope so', will check out the form.

I was wondering.. can anyone tell me difference, apart from legitimacy and the 15, in unlocking with O2 or asking someone to do it for you?

Thanks
    Not sure I understand the question. Which country are you in?

Firstly, thanks for your constant feedback, time and support 'nebo1ss'; secondly: I'm from Malta.

I wanted to know, the difference between unlocking with O2 (legal - 15 by form) and unlocking with illegal software.

I see a lot of adverts to unlock the iPhone 3G S at a certain software version,for example:
    "Unlock iPhone 3G S 3.1.3" or "Unlock iPhone 3.1.2" etc.. What is difference between 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 unlock? Are they all available? What difference is there between this type of unlocking and O2's? ..

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by harjafsormok; 2010-06-12 at 04:25 PM. Reason: presentation

Firstly, thanks for your constant feedback, time and support 'nebo1ss'; secondly: I'm from Malta.

I wanted to know, the difference between unlocking with O2 (legal - 15 by form) and unlocking with illegal software.

I see a lot of adverts to unlock the iPhone 3G S at a certain software version,for example:
    "Unlock iPhone 3G S 3.1.3" or "Unlock iPhone 3.1.2" etc.. What is difference between 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 unlock? Are they all available? What difference is there between this type of unlocking and O2's? ..

Thanks in advance
    When first launched the 3GS had firmware of 3.1.2 and a baseband of 5.11.1 apple subsequently updated it to 3.1.3 with a baseband of 5.12.1. The baseband version is what determines if you can unlock it or not.
    There is no software that unlocks the 5.12.1 baseband today no matter what you see advertised. They are all Scams. If you bought the phone recently from o2 it almost certainly has the new firmware and baseband.
    The difference between official unlock and software unlock is that with the official unlock you can do apple updates whenever they release them. With a software unlock you have to be careful and it is best to not upgrade because it will break the unlock.
    There is free software out there today that will unlock the 5.11.1 baseband and we are expecting a new release of software that will unlock both the 5.12.1 baseband and the new 5.13.1 baseband which comes with IOS4 in the next few weeks.

You said you bought the phone new from O2 so you must have bought it outright on pay as you go. Did you not get a pay as you go O2 SIM when you bought the phone. O2 will unlock the phone for Sterling 15 but I am unsure if they will deal with you in Malta. You may need to get a friend in the UK to coordinate this for you.
    Hope this helps. If you decide to wait for the software unlock remember the software is always free and there are only two groups that you can trust to provide unlocks. Geohot and Devteam.
    The Scam groups use the software provided free by these groups and charge for it, but unfortunately they also claim to be able to do things before it is possible and take your money anyway.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-06-12 at 04:56 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nebo1ss For This Useful Post:

harjafsormok (2010-06-12)

.... i see. wow that was of great, respectable help. Had no idea about this.

"You said you bought the phone new from O2 so you must have bought it outright on pay as you go. Did you not get a pay as you go O2 SIM when you bought the phone."

To make things crystal clear, I bought the item brand new from eBAY.co.uk which only states that the iPhone is bound by O2 sim. The phone is factory sealed and is unused whatsoever. I am still receiving the phone as we speak, so as such I can't even determine the software version it will have.
    Also, the fact that I didn't by the phone from O2 directly would probably negate any hope of O2 actually legally unlocking the phone for me, right?

"When first launched the 3GS had firmware of 3.1.2 and a baseband of 5.11.1 apple subsequently updated it to 3.1.3 with a baseband of 5.12.1. The baseband version is what determines if you can unlock it or not.
    There is no software that unlocks the 5.12.1 baseband today no matter what you see advertised."

As regards to the firmware and baseband correlation; does this mean that iPhones with a baseband of 5.11.1 are solely bound to a firmware of 3.1.2?

Am I understanding correctly by stating that the baseband and firmware of an iPhone of 5.11.1 and 3.1.2 are respectively upgraded simultaneously to 5.12.1 and 3.1.3?

So, an official O2 unlock - if possible under my location/purchase circumstances - will not limit me to Apple updates in firmware + baseband, right? - but an illegal one will bind me to the particular firmware version, correct?

Hope I got it right and I need not rob you of your time,
    Thanks a shitload for all help, it is very much appreciated!!