Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Desperate Plea for Help...

Default Desperate Plea for Help...
    Hi thanks for taking the time to read this... I'm not so sure on how to explain my problem and because of this it's really hard for me to track similar posts so i apologise in advanced if this has been covered on another thread.. perhaps you can direct me to it because i've failed to find it

This is the THIRD iPhone ive bought and wasted alot of time and money on. The first would never connect to the itunes store, the second (i later found out) was reported stolen and it was blocked -in the end i sold it as spares, now this newly purchased legitimate iphone 3GS 16GB bought from a legitimate O2 customer in the UK has the USB screen of death ever since i connected to itunes on my mac and it downloaded an update.

I cannot access the desktop, it simply shows the USB cable picture with the "slide for emergency" slider. When i bought the phone a few hours ago i tested it with the seller, inserting my T-mobile UK sim and making a fonecall to a friend. The apps store worked too and everthing seemed perfect.

The seller explained the phone was officially unlocked by O2, and after all my strict testing (growing wiser from my last iphone purchase) i was satisfied it was. It looks brand-new, the seller never used it, he claims only to test if it worked.. GUYS huh?

When i came home i connected it to itunes and an update window came up on the screen asking me if i'd like to update, i selected yes (it looked like an official update).

Ever since i've actioned the update i get the message in itunes that my phone's SIM card (T-mobile) is not supported and i need to ue an official sim card. I cannot use the phone anymore either, i cannot access the desktop/ see any icons nor can i make any phone calls.

This phone just cost me 400 and im terribly worried i've been done.

In my desperation I tried using a tool called pwnage, which seemed to work until i had to put the phone in recovery mode? and my mac just wouldnt detect that the phone was connected via USB, the dial just kept spinning.

If anyone could just spare a few minutes to explain, pref in lamens terms how i can resolve this i'd be most grateful

Thanks in advanced and sorry its so long,

Laura x

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cyon For This Useful Post:

iYeow (2010-06-06)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

First of all , the seller told you that your iphone is officially unlocked but it doesn't seem that you have an official unlock, it is just a software unlock. Therefore, you are screwed now because you are now at 3.1.3 which is unlockable. Did he not tell you not to update, or he just lied to you by tell you official unlock. The only option to do if you are not going to take it back to the O2 carrier, you have to put the official sim card in to trigger into Home Screen and then run Spirit jailbreak . Your Iphone can only be used as an Expensive Ipod Touch.....Sorry to say that...

Edit : Pwnage tools, SnowBreeze will not work for you.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-06-06 at 03:38 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

On a brighter note, you might be seeing an unlock within this month (probably after the 18th?) so dont worry! If you dont want to wait, talk to the seller about a refund or sell it on eBay.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

cyon (2010-06-06)

The same thing happened to me (lots of people only have "expensive iPod Touches"), on monday you will probably find out when an unlock is available when WWDC will announce 4.0 software release.

Default Ohhh no...
    Hey thanks for getting back to me. It's really the worst possible news i could have hoped anyone could write. But to be honest i don't mind waiting, its soooo long since i've tried to get a working iphone that another few weeks will hardly make any difference. My only question is, will there DEFINATELY be an unlock? Is it just a matter of time or is the 3.1.3 firmware truly unlockable like Apple claims?

You mention a spirit unlock? I can still get in touch with the seller, but after checking the spirit website it says "An activated device: one not stuck on the Connect to iTunes or Emergency Call screen." as one of the prerequisites fir the software to work?

Who are the WWDC? Do they have a webpage?

OK so just found out about WWDC. They are an official body right? So will they comment or develop something that will hack an iPhone?
    Last edited by cyon; 2010-06-06 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

@Cyon: Your problem is not really unsolvable since you have an O2 phone and you live in the UK. O2 has some of the best iphone pay as you go plans available. Check out their simplicity plan you can get a SIM from o2 and activate your iphone on a month to month basis, or choose to just do it for one month to facilitate the activation.

@cyon Just to add to my last comment. If you have an official O2 phone on a pay as you go plan, you can get an official unlock of your iphone for Sterling 15. You need to go to an O2 shop and talk to someone. By the way I do not work for O2 i live in the US but spend three months a year in London and very familiar with the plans there.

I terms of the seller saying it is officially unlocked. It might well be. O2 will officially unlock a contract Iphone at no cost it just takes two weeks. The only requirement is that you cannot cancel your contract you have to stay with whatever plan you first signed up for to the end of contract.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-06-06 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nebo1ss For This Useful Post:

sailorboyheng (2010-06-18)

sorry im too tired to read now

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    @Cyon: Your problem is not really unsolvable since you have an O2 phone and you live in the UK. O2 has some of the best iphone pay as you go plans available. Check out their simplicity plan you can get a SIM from o2 and activate your iphone on a month to month basis, or choose to just do it for one month to facilitate the activation.

@cyon Just to add to my last comment. If you have an official O2 phone on a pay as you go plan, you can get an official unlock of your iphone for Sterling 15. You need to go to an O2 shop and talk to someone. By the way I do not work for O2 i live in the US but spend three months a year in London and very familiar with the plans there.

I terms of the seller saying it is officially unlocked. It might well be. O2 will officially unlock a contract Iphone at no cost it just takes two weeks. The only requirement is that you cannot cancel your contract you have to stay with whatever plan you first signed up for to the end of contract.
    Hi nebolss, i understand what you're saying but the whole point of me buying the phone is so i can use it on my current contract and keep my current number. All my business cards and contacts have my t-mobile number so it sort of negates the whole point of me buying the phone.

I have many friends on O2 anyhow i could simply borrow their sim just to activate the phone right? This should get me to the home screen on the phone where i can see the icons instead of just showing the emergency call only screen... but then i imagine the phone will become as Tommo explained "an expensive iPod Touch".

You mention that o2 can officially unlock my phone provided i stay on a contract for the full duration of the policy. Well, the seller remains on his O2 contract and he will see it out to the end so if i went with him to an O2 store and he requested the phone to be factory unlocked (ie i can use it on t-mobile regardless if i update or not) will that work?

I think you need to talk to the seller. The unlock process is a two stage one. If the seller had requested an unlock from O2 they would send him an email a week to two later telling him it is unlocked. He would then need to plug it into Itunes with an alternative SIM T-Mobile for example and Itunes would complete the process and unlock it. If he failed to complete the second part of the process that may be your poblem.
    What concerns me is that when you plugged it into Itunes it immediately tried to do an update. There has been no software release from Apple for the iphone for some months now which would suggest the seller might have been deliberately keeping it on a previous version of software. The only reason to do that, is if you JB and unlock with unofficial software and know that an update would wipe it out. If this is so then it may not be an O2 phone.
    Your best option is really with the seller if he kept his contract SIM and put it in another phone, he can activate it for you and also follow up with the unlock which as I said is free from 02. If your efforts with the seller fails there are two options.
    1. If it really is an O2 phone get the O2 simplicity SIM for the iphone and activate it, put in a request to O2 for an unlock which will cost you 15 pnds and then you are good to go with T-mobile.
    2. If it is not an O2 phone but a foreign one then you will have to wait on software which can both unlock and hactivate the phone.
    Hope it works out for you.

In response to your specific question. The answer is yes.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-06-07 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nebo1ss For This Useful Post:

cyon (2010-06-07)

I cant thank you all enough for your comments and nebolss THANK YOU for giving me some hope... I do honestly believe it is a genuine O2 phone, the seller seems really sincere and i've since spoken to him to explain the situation.

He has promised to call O2 tomorrow morning and request an unlock. I'm not sure it will work but it beats sitting around looking at the damn thing eh? Also i think the reason why the phone immediately tried to update is because as the seller said: it was brand-new. It still had the protector film on it and there was no sign of trapped air bubbles beneath it when i saw it and its in mint condition. I presume the firmware was pre-3.1.3 and thats how it remained, from the factory, until i stupidly updated it in itunes.

Of course i could be wrong, but if i was is there any way to find out where this fone oringinated from? Anyhow, whatever happens ill post back my findings and keep all informed as im sure there will be others with similar questions...

Thanks again X

On a side note... these ads i keep seeing littered over the web (such as this one here >> Dev Team confirms iPhone 4.0 Unlock before WWDC 10 Event) that claim to unlock your fone for a fee... are they for real.

Does anyone know if they would work in my case?

Thanks in advanced...
    Last edited by cyon; 2010-06-08 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

They are Scams stay away from them. There are no software unlocks for 3.1.3 with a 5.12.1 Baseband at this time.

Today apple announced that version 4 of the software will be released on June 21st. I would be surprised to find any unlock release from the DEV Team until a week or two after that date.

I wanted to post a couple of O2 pages for you as well which gives you more info on their unlock procedure.

O2 | iPhone Unlocking | Find out about unlocking your iPhone

and

Why can't I 'unlock' my iPhone? - Support - O2

Your best bet is still O2 and an official unlock which is the gold standard you never have to worry about doing an update again.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nebo1ss For This Useful Post:

cyon (2010-06-08)

OK thanks for the advice, you just saved me from throwing away even more cash!

Thanks for the links too nebolss, very helpful.

This forum is great... thanks a heap.

Hi Again everyone... This is just a follow up post to my original question and to update on my circumstances.

The seller of my phone is conveniently no longer accepting incoming calls on his phone... (and there's me praising how much of a nice chap he is) so i'm at a loose end. I'm thinking of buying the O2 simplicity sim for a month for 20 then filing out the unlock form 15 as i don't seem to be getting anywhere. But before i do, i realise that it will take around a week for my unlock to be processed and that Anniex mentions
    On a brighter note, you might be seeing an unlock within this month (probably after the 18th?) so dont worry!
    so is it worth me just waiting until then for the unlock to become available or should i just fork out the additional 45 and get the matter resolved? Is there a specific webpage that will notify users when the unlock will become available?

And finally, will the unofficial unlock be as good an unlock as me paying 15 through O2? What i mean by that is will i be able to update and not worry about my phone locking itself again or will i have to run jailbreaking software and other things just to use my phone? My entire music library is on iTunes and i fear i will have problems when trying to sync my phone with it if i go the unofficial route, but then, if that won't be any trouble and i can save myself 45 then i'll do that...

any advice?

Thanks for all your help in advanced, Laura x

Hi Cyon,
    Sorry it did not work out with the seller. I think the first thing to establish is if the phone is really an O2 phone. You don't need to get the 20 Pnds SIM get one for 5 Pnds to start. See attached link.

If that allows you to activate the phone then you know you have an o2 phone and can follow up with the o2 unlock.

There will be a software unlock available soon probably within about three to four weeks and hopefully it will also be capable of activating the phone.

In terms of comparing official unlock and software unlock then an official unlock is always better, because it allow you to do upgrades as apple releases them. With the software unlock you have to make sure you do not upgrade your phone.

There are two reasons I was suspicious of the seller in the first place. Your T-Mobile Sim did work initially "that means it was unlocked" and the software immediately tried to update when you plugged it into Itunes "that means it was being deliberately kept at an earlier release of software probably 3.1.2 and BB 5.11.1.

Try the O2 5 Pnds SIM and do another Restore with the SIM in the phone.

Tariffs <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td align="center"> <table border="0" cellpadding="8" cellspacing="0"> <tr> <td> <font class="gamma" size="2"><span class="gamma-neg-alert"> Your browser does not support th

Read this guide before you do the restore.

[ame]http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=603129[/ame]
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-06-12 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hey Nebolss, thanks again for your quick reply... i'm on my way out to buy the 5 sim card and will follow your guide as instructed. I'll post back my findings...

I really, REALLY appreciate the time you've taken to help me out

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Your phone was software unlocked, not factory. If you have another cellphone that you can use until the end of this month you will be able to unlock it yourself. There really is no need to ever pay someone to unlock your phone as the softwares are always free and super simple to use. If you can tough it out then someone on here can walk you through it.

Update:

So i bought an O2 simplicity sim card which costs 10 minimum. It says 5 for unlimited text but the small print states minimum top-up is 10. I did ask the staff at the O2 shop but they explained that a new sim must be opened on a 10 minimum... for those of you who may be following this thread.

The O2 sim card DID indeed unlock my phone which i'm very pleased about. I can access the app store & make phone calls and sync with iTunes.

I have since filled out the O2 unlock as pasted on nebolss's link above and have been told that it will take up to 14days to unlock. An email will be sent to me.

Just a couple of things i wanted to make everyone aware of... When going through the form it asked which 2 numbers do i call from the phone the most. Of course as the sim was brand-new and i'd never made a call i simply called 2 numbers (my mobile and my home phone) which i made sure connected so that the call was logged on my sim card account. I presume O2 do this for security so i just thought would be the best option.

Also the question "how much was my last top-up and when", threw me off a bit as i had never topped up on this sim, so i simply stated the date i purchased the sim as the top up date and the amount of 10 which was the cost of the sim in total.

As always i will post back my findings for anyone else that may be following this thread (and hopefully doesn't make the same mistakes).

Thanks again all

Thanks for your reply cpatain chaos, though after speaking with nebolss i think an official unlock will probably be better for me which is why i bought the sim card.

Failing that for any reason then i guess the software unlock you state will be the way to go forward...
    Last edited by cyon; 2010-06-13 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

What have we learned? The next time there is a carrier unlock use it and NEVER update to the next firmware.

Glad to hear that the restore and activation worked with the O2 SIM. At least we know you really have an O2 phone. The seller was Dumb to software unlock the phone before he sold it to you he was entitled to a free official factory unlock from O2.
    On the 21st June Apple is going to release another upgrade iOS4 and you will probably still be waiting on O2 at that stage. Itunes will offer you the upgrade and I suggest you decline it until you get a response from O2 and have successfully unlocked the phone.
    My reasoning is that apple may make another baseband change before they release this software. If for any reason the O2 unlock does not come through and you need to fall back on software you need flexibility.
    You did not mention how you paid the 15 Pnds for the unlock but I believe you need to have enough credit on the pay and Go sim to facilitate it and hence you may need to top up the SIM.
    After you get the unlock and put the T-Mobile SIM in the phone if you want to use data you need to get the T-Mobile data set up or APN specification.
    T-Mobile UK has announced they will be supporting the Iphone and hence you can probably get it from Itunes. Alternatively if you use your Safari Browser on WIFI and Go to site
    help.BenM.at | BENM.AT
    Scroll down to UK and select you will then see the UK carriers chose T-Mobile and download and install the APN changer.

Hey again all!

My iPhone is working PERFECTLY

I received the text message from O2 that my unlock had been processed and as explained by nebolss i put my t-mobile sim into the phone, connected to iTunes, updated and SUCCESS! I'm very happy and can't thank you all enough.

I did the update too at help.BenM.at | BENM.AT which did something to the phone, i'm not entirely sure what but i presume thats so i can use 3G when i don't have wireless?

On a side note: whenever i attached my phone to the mac iTunes states "iTunes needs to check for an update to the carrier settings for your iPhone" which i click "check" but it asks this each and every time... am i doing something wrong?

Thanks again everyone...

A VERY happy Laura X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast