Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating an iPad 3G SIM without an iPad

I got so far as att billing my account, but I must have made a mistake with the page loads failing me so many times (Using webdeveloper plugin and user agent changer) My account was in pending status with no assigned data plan, the customer care agents were all very confused as to how this could happen.

Using a micro sim in adapter from att store, tried iphone imei, 0, and nokia generated all after my initial account somehow stopped progressing through the setup process. I'm thinking the process has changed a bit, since one of the lovely reps mentioned that the key generated from the imei and sim didn't match up right and was missing a digit?

The BELL online activation link does not seem to work anymore, even while spoofing an iPad user agent, I always get "Your request could not be processed at this time."

On the phone the BELL guy said you need to activate within the iPad, so either the address has changed or using an iPhone IMEI isn't good enough anymore.
    I'll go to a store and get an iPad IMEI.

EDIT:
    Got a micro-sim from Telus, set up my account/credit info at the store, put it into the iPhone 4 and went to Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone, used the CA Telus shortcut, created the APN profile and BAM, iPad 3G over iPhone 4.

EDIT 2:
    make sure your APN is set to isp.telus.com because the default sp.telus.com from the APN Changer website is wrong for the iPad micro-sim inside iPhone trick.
    Last edited by deckard97; 2010-11-23 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deckard97 For This Useful Post:

willpower101 (2010-10-06)

Quote Originally Posted by deckard97 View Post

EDIT:
    Got a micro-sim from Telus, set up my account/credit info at the store, put it into the iPhone 4 and went to Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone, used the CA Telus shortcut, created the APN profile and BAM, iPad 3G over iPhone 4.
    You are the man. Thank you for posting this update.

To be clear:

How did you get the micro sim from telus? Att won't sell me one.

When you setup the account at the store did you pull out the ipad sim and put your sim in? Seems like they would stop me at the local store.

Telus is in Canada.
    I waited until I got home to try the micro-sim.

Default 4.1
    Does anybody have this working on iOS 4.1? I am at 4.0 right now and been using my iPad sim in my iphone 3gs for months. I would like to know if it is safe to upgrade before I do.

Is 4.1 jailbroken? Then you'll also need to update the apn. Other than that everything has to do with the card.

Default Got it working IOS4.1
    So running on a freshly jailbroken/unlocked iphone 4 running quickpwn 4.1

Got an ipad sim working using a nokia IMEI after a fwe struggles

Now the problem is data usage tracking:
    * Cannot log in to ATT site for IPAD datatracking
    * SMS to phone doesnt work for IPAD

The only tracking is the iphone datausage, however, this is not reliable in matching AT&T from experience, and more importantly am trying to track if there are 1.30AM data usages which are not authorised.

Any ideas?

Bump, I'm curious about the above problem

Where exactly are you trying to track the data? Is it through some sort of program that is typically built into the ipad? or through the web?

Have you changed the apn i assume?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default UPDATE: You can activate/modify iPad plans from any browser now. See link w/in quote.
    At&t Users, and specifically tzephone: Read the following and see if it works for your needs. My notes are in GREEN:
    Quote Originally Posted by tzephone View Post
    Now the problem is data usage tracking:
    * Cannot log in to ATT site for IPAD datatracking
    AT&T in the last few days implemented changes on it's iPad site and allowed iPad users to activate and manage iPad plans from most any browser. The site seems to be a modified version of the iOS-specific site used on the iPad Settings app. If so, then you might be able to track data usage via that site. Note: Unlimited plans never showed data usage even on the iOS-optimized site or this, so don't bother looking for data tracking if you're on unlimited.
    * SMS to phone doesnt work for IPAD

The only tracking is the iphone datausage, however, this is not reliable in matching AT&T from experience, and more importantly am trying to track if there are 1.30AM data usages which are not authorised.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 2010-11-15 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Added first sentence to address the people who should look at post.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

So, it looks like AT&T got a little smarter. The IMEI/ICCIDs I generated for an old Nokia phone which used to work in the registration page no longer work. Since they updated the account settings page, I have been unable to log in. From the old page, it says "Device not supported". From the new page, it gives me error

"AT&T is not able to process your request. We apologize for any inconvenience.
    Please try again later. (OEP9999)"

I'm not sure what to do. They haven't sent me an e-mailing saying they are going to cancel my service, but I'm getting worried. Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have tips?

So, is it possible to have two accounts tied to one IMEI? I plan on activated a few sims on my brother's iPad 3G?

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    At&t Users, and specifically tzephone: Read the following and see if it works for your needs. My notes are in GREEN:
    Thanks.. btw for those who cannot log back on to modify their account using their IMEI, instead go to the main ipad site as noted above, and log-in with your registered email and password.

This will allow you to view your ipad account

Thanks, I was finally able to log in. I am not sure, but it may have had to do with the browser I was using. It worked today on IE but not on firefox at work. I will try Firefox and Safari at home tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by littleyip View Post
    So, it looks like AT&T got a little smarter. The IMEI/ICCIDs I generated for an old Nokia phone which used to work in the registration page no longer work. Since they updated the account settings page, I have been unable to log in. From the old page, it says "Device not supported". From the new page, it gives me error

"AT&T is not able to process your request. We apologize for any inconvenience.
    Please try again later. (OEP9999)"

I'm not sure what to do. They haven't sent me an e-mailing saying they are going to cancel my service, but I'm getting worried. Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have tips?
    I am having the same issue, my IMEI was generated with Nokia IMEI Generator, my iPhone is no longer working with 3G iPad plan. Are others experiencing this? Is the party over.. or has someone found a work around?

I don't know. Mine works fine. But my sim was actually registered in an ipad.

I'm also curious to see if I can register more accounts without it messing up my phone.
    Last edited by willpower101; 2010-11-23 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Does anyone know if iOS 4.2 has changed anything with using an iPad SIM? I haven't upgraded yet, so I'm curious if it breaks anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tzephone View Post
    Thanks.. btw for those who cannot log back on to modify their account using their IMEI, instead go to the main ipad site as noted above, and log-in with your registered email and password.

This will allow you to view your ipad account
    I was able to do this, but how can I alter my IMEI to get this working again? Any help is greatly appreciated. $15/month iPhone was the best thing ever.

Crap - I can log in to the ATT website, but it won't let me renew my plan. presume an IPAD IMEI is required for this...

crap, I think the party is over, too. I can also log on and view my settings but now that my plan has expired, I am not able to renew.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast