Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking options for 3GS

Default Unlocking options for 3GS
    I have a 1st gen iPhone, that I have been pwning since Pwnage Tool came out. I used to read these forums a lot, but lately I haven't followed much because not much action happens on 1st gen iPhones. My wife got a 3GS in December 2009. It's 3.1.2 out of the box, (still on 3.1.2, good news), baseband 05.11.07 (good news again), but most likely new bootroom (many signs, unfortunately). What are the options for an unlock? I had a quick read of various forums, and to me it does not look good. Unlocks seem to have problems, and the more reliable ones (still good old Pwnage Tool, by my quick reading) seem not working on new bootrooms.

Can anybody very knowledgeable on these issues give me a feedback on this?

Thanks a lot
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Is it jailbroken? If not is it activated, like can you get into the phone? If it is not jailbroken and activated somehow then use spirit to jailbreak. Then add blackra1n.com to the source list in Cydia and install blacksn0w. As long as she stay on 3.1.2 with 5.11 baseband it can be unlocked.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Is it jailbroken? If not is it activated, like can you get into the phone? If it is not jailbroken and activated somehow then use spirit to jailbreak. Then add blackra1n.com to the source list in Cydia and install blacksn0w. As long as she stay on 3.1.2 with 5.11 baseband it can be unlocked.
    Not jailbroken yet, legit activation with AT&T. We are AT&T customers, but we travel quite a bit, and prefer using local SIM cards rather than the AT&T international plan. So, even if she has the new bootroom, blacksn0w can unlock it? Is the blacksn0w unlock tethered? coz I know my wife, she would go nuts if she had to connect the iPhone to her laptop everytime the battery phone dies.
    Last edited by marcoiac; 2010-06-03 at 03:18 AM.
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marcoiac View Post
    Not jailbroken yet, legit activation with AT&T. We are AT&T customers, but we travel quite a bit, and prefer using local SIM cards rather than the AT&T international plan. So, even if she has the new bootroom, blacksn0w can unlock it?
    Blacksn0w will work on both bootroms, but it is better to install Blacksn0wRC2 to unlock rather than the Original one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

marcoiac (2010-06-03)

Thanks

Blacksn0w is the unlock and comes after the jailbreak. the Spirit jailbreak is not tethered.

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Blacksn0w is the unlock and comes after the jailbreak. the Spirit jailbreak is not tethered.
    ah, getting confused, all this new stuff to catch up with. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Blacksn0w will work on both bootroms, but it is better to install Blacksn0wRC2 to unlock rather than the Original one.
    so, how do i get Blacksn0wRC2? still from cydia adding blackra1n.com as a source? and, why is RC2 better? thanks
    Last edited by marcoiac; 2010-06-03 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3

Thanks

It just adds some improvements.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Add this repo in Cydia Source : cydia.pushfix.info , then search Blacksn0wRC2 ( More Stable version )

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You should jailbreak with Spirit to avoid tethered jailbreak! (every time your phone turns off or reboots, you will have to run Blackra1n on it again and again) but like everyone else said, use Blacksn0w to unlock.