Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Thinking of Buying a iPhone 3G, Will This Plan Work?

Default Thinking of Buying a iPhone 3G, Will This Plan Work?
    Ok, here goes nothing.

I want to ditch my current phone plan once 4.0 comes out, and buy a iphone 3g. I plant to buy a T-Mobile SIM card setup for unlimited internet (40 a month) with no calls or txts. I'm going to delete MMS and phone off my phone to ensure I don't accidentally use them.

Anywho, I plan to use Text+ for txting, and Skype (or another SIP, undecided right now) for calls. Skype runs at 2.99 a month for landline calls, which is awesome for me. When 4.0 comes out, I'll be able to receive calls without the app running, awesome.

Would Skype and Text+ run on the EDGE network of T-Mobile, or am I just wasting my time?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Problem with T-Mobile is edge. Skype didn't work too well over edge for me... it works, just drops calls/lags sometimes. Really, you should only be using it if you have 3G access.

I don't know about using Skype as your phone since it'll be hard to receive phone calls since 4.0 on the 3G doesn't have multitasking enabled. even though it can be easily enabled once jailbroken the phone will be really slow. Which is why apple isn't including multitasking for the 3G. but thats up to you. Don't tell Apple i said that. they don't like choice. yea and VOIP on edge probably not the best.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Problem with T-Mobile is edge. Skype didn't work too well over edge for me... it works, just drops calls/lags sometimes. Really, you should only be using it if you have 3G access.
    Hmmm, Skype works much better on 3G network, edge is too slow and causes drop and voice clippings. I thought T-mobile already has 3G network in the States, am I right ?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

T-Mobile USA 3G frequencies don't work with the iPhone.