Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3gs 3.1.3 new bootrom activation help

Hi,

I bought and AT&T prepaid sim card and I am not able to activate my 3GS new bootrom. The iphone I bought is locked to AT&T but even witht he prepaid SIM card it's not activating...

Any idea on what to do? We were told that we need a postpaid account to activate with AT&T...

Fred

Any AT&T sim works pre-paid, in-active, whatever will work.
    Did u connect to iTunes and are u in the USA.

i've the same problem
    3GS 3.1.3 Old bootrom - stuck on Emer. Call "Not Activated"
    and i read about the "Phonebook Sim card" which it's not available in my country "Sudan-Africa"

i thought to apply Custom iOS4, but i found out to upload a custom FW u need to be JB first.

any idea to help plz ?? i'll appreciate it :-)

Hi,
    I connected the phone with iTunes. Initially tried with a brand new sim and did not worked. Then bought a prepaid sim and did not worked (left it with iTunes for a while). I am in Canada so had a friend bought the prepaid and brought it here... But no luck to activate. Should we be in US for it to work ?

Cheers,
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by farcouet View Post
    Hi,
    I connected the phone with iTunes. Initially tried with a brand new sim and did not worked. Then bought a prepaid sim and did not worked (left it with iTunes for a while). I am in Canada so had a friend bought the prepaid and brought it here... But no luck to activate. Should we be in US for it to work ?

Cheers,
    Fred
    Fred,

No, that is not the problem, the problem is that the phone needs to be activated by an official carrier in order for it to recognise any other sim, it can only do that through iTunes, however, most iPhones can be HACKTIVATED, which means that it will activate the phone outside of itunes so any sim can be put in the phone, after this, an unlock can be activated to make the sim work in the phone.

The problem lies with the fact that no hacktivation has been made for the iphone 3gs NEW bootrom, all other iphones have been so far.

The other disappointing news which I read today, is that GeoHot, the guy who made the iphones work through hacktivation and unlocks, has given it all up because people keep pestering him for the activation for the 3gs new bootrom.

I don't blame him, but it is some what dissapointing.... The task unfrotunately will now lie with the iphone dev team (if they decide to persue it)

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    Any AT&T sim works pre-paid, in-active, whatever will work.
    Did u connect to iTunes and are u in the USA.
    you sounds sure about that-
    Since i have been looking for help for days, maybe u could help me out with that sure way.
    Any particulars you believe would be important?

I have a Prepaid- ATT sim, and it WILL NOT WORK~!>

Quote Originally Posted by LurchTheBouncer View Post
    Fred,

The problem lies with the fact that no hacktivation has been made for the iphone 3gs NEW bootrom, all other iphones have been so far.

Ian
    what about the Old bootrom but it's on 3.1.3?? plz

Hi,

I bought and AT&T prepaid sim card and I am not able to activate my 3GS new bootrom. The iphone I bought is locked to AT&T but even witht he prepaid SIM card it's not activating...

Any idea on what to do? We were told that we need a postpaid account to activate with AT&T...

Fred

You cant fix it here.
    AFTER SPEAKING WITH THEM- incase anyone wants to fued this out.
    At&t does NOT support Iphones on their PREPAID NETWORK. In fact, support is not the correct word. Iphones are BLACKLISTED from the prepaid network.

Now-
    You DO have to have the AT&T sim UNLOCKED - yes THE SIM.
    You DO have to activate the card IN THE PHONE before YOU YOU JB it. (not positive, but couldn't hurt- hacktivation possibly?)
    YOU DO have to activate the PHONE to the CARRIER with the CARD.
    ~~[spelled out] At&t activates the SIM to the PHONE and to their Servers ALL during INITIAL activation.
    ~~So if you activated your Pre-paid account on another phone- you have to unlock your SIM. Also- you have to update AT&T with the new phones IMEI #. For which they will deny you once you give them your Iphone's IMEI #.

Ok, my setup

Iphone 4.0 JB
    Baseband 5.13.04
    AT&T

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Hi,

Cheers,
    Fred
    There is no reason why it shouldn't work, i live in Canada too, all i do is insert my no service AT&T card in, and connect to Itunes, it will trigger into HomeScreen.

You can go and buy a PhoneBook sim card to activate too..

Quote Originally Posted by SubCool View Post
    you sounds sure about that-
    Since i have been looking for help for days, maybe u could help me out with that sure way.
    Any particulars you believe would be important?

I have a Prepaid- ATT sim, and it WILL NOT WORK~!>
    A prepaid Sim will definitely work but the SIM itself must be activated. When you go into an ATT shop and Buy a pay and go SIM they will ask you what type of phone you are going to use it in or for an IMEI number. Just tell them the phone is at home and you don't know the IMEI they will activate the SIM for you. You will then be able to use the Iphone as a normal pay and go phone. I did it for five months while waiting for my iphone unlock to use my T-mobile SIM. There are many others who have done it, if you look at the forums. With regard to activating the Iphone provided it is not the very first time you are activating the phone and need to input Social Security etc it will work for activation. I had to restore twice due to JB problems and just restored with the ATT pay and Go sim in the phone and it restored and activated no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SubCool View Post
    You cant fix it here.
    AFTER SPEAKING WITH THEM- incase anyone wants to fued this out.
    At&t does NOT support Iphones on their PREPAID NETWORK. In fact, support is not the correct word. Iphones are BLACKLISTED from the prepaid network.

Now-
    You DO have to have the AT&T sim UNLOCKED - yes THE SIM.
    You DO have to activate the card IN THE PHONE before YOU YOU JB it. (not positive, but couldn't hurt- hacktivation possibly?)
    YOU DO have to activate the PHONE to the CARRIER with the CARD.
    ~~[spelled out] At&t activates the SIM to the PHONE and to their Servers ALL during INITIAL activation.
    ~~So if you activated your Pre-paid account on another phone- you have to unlock your SIM. Also- you have to update AT&T with the new phones IMEI #. For which they will deny you once you give them your Iphone's IMEI #.

Ok, my setup

Iphone 4.0 JB
    Baseband 5.13.04
    AT&T
    That is so not true. I can use my ATT sim in any phone I can use my T-Mobile SIM in any phone. I do it all the time. The only SIMS that are locked to phones are some of those Cheap third party pay and go phones like Petro-Canada and Seven Eleven phones that are sold in Canada.

I will admit that ATT does not like you using a pay and go sim in an Iphone, and technically they can discover that you are but they do not lock the SIM to a phone. You can put any ATT sim card in any ATT phone or any unlocked phone and get service. The phone number is locked to the SIM the SIM is not locked to the phone.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-07-24 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post

That is so not true. I can use my ATT sim in any phone I can use my T-Mobile SIM in any phone. I do it all the time. The only SIMS that are locked to phones are some of those Cheap third party pay and go phones like Petro-Canada and Seven Eleven phones that are sold in Canada.
    My Iphone 3G (unlocked) was with Rogers and just recently upgraded to Iphone 4, so I inserted my wife's Petro-Canada's SIM card to Iphone 3G and it works fine (voice). No data plan added, we only use WIFI at home for data since my wife is at home most of the time. So I don't think the SIM is locked to phone (at least those SIM in 2008 - we bought it in 2008).

Hope this help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12