Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhone

Default Unlocked iPhone
    Hi All,

I am having a rather strange issue and hoping that someone with experience with this can help me out. I have an unlocked iphone running on 3.1.3 (it's a 2G) and when I was in the United States (I am from Canada) I bought an At&T pay-as-you-go card to try it out and it worked great - I had service on AT&T.

When I purchased the SIM card I asked it I would be able to use it in Canada and I was told yes but it would just deduct more funds since it would be roaming. When I came back to Canada I get No Service and it does not work. Am I supposed to do something more to make it work here in Canada??

Thanks.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Run Redsn0w 0.9.4 on it and you can unlock it for it to work on any carrier.

Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 with Redsn0w 0.9.4 | Redmond Pie

Note: if you run into redsn0w requiring bootloader 3.9 and 4.6 binary files, just google it for a download (make sure you have the version for windows if you have windows)
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-26 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is already unlocked with Redsn0w and as I mentioned in my post it worked fine while in the U.S.A. My issue is that it will not work back home in Canada with the AT&T sim card even though I was told that it would but I would just get charged a bit more for the roaming.

Thanks.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Oooh i get it. Well maybe you should call AT&T again and ask. Sometimes I get reps who tell me one thing then another who tells me otherwise.

Thanks I will - we seem to get that a lot.

Just was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and knew or if there is something I need to do because if you ask 10 AT&T (or Rogers or Bell) you will get 10 different answers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kally View Post
    My iPhone is already unlocked with Redsn0w and as I mentioned in my post it worked fine while in the U.S.A. My issue is that it will not work back home in Canada with the AT&T sim card even though I was told that it would but I would just get charged a bit more for the roaming.

Thanks.
    Usually prepaid card do not allow roaming, I brought back a Malaysian sim prepaid, it does says Rogers in Canada but all I could was just texting, so overseas sim card varies according to their carriers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Kally (2010-05-27)

Just an update - AT&T prepaid does not allow roaming except for Mexico so although I was told it did at two different outlets - one in Baltimore and one in New York they obviously have no clue or just want to make a sale so beware.