Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help! cannot get 3G to work only EDGE

Default Help! cannot get 3G to work only EDGE
    Hello,

I hoping that some of you experts can help me out. I inherited an Iphone 3g from one of my coworkers and though i would do a reset to start with a clean phone. After about 3 hours being stuck on the same screen I had to turn the phone off. Not knowing that this was a jailbroken phone i recovered it using Itunes and after that i was stuck with a locked phone. I managed to downgrade my baseband with fuzzyband and the jailbreak it. I now have a working phone but i cannot get 3G to work no matter what i do. Only EDGE works. I have tried turning on and off 3G, tried rebooting the phone and tried switching on and off airplane mode but with no luck.

What could be wrong?

I have bootloader version 05.08 (g2m3s2)
    baseband version ICE2-04.26.08
    Iphone OS version 3.1.3

I really hope someone can help me to get 3G to work also

regards
    Jacob

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Are you on AT&T?

Hi,

No i am in Denmark on TDC (Tele Denmark)

regards
    Jacob

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ok. That's why your 3G doesn't work.

ok?

why? what do i need to do to get it to work again.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It's a hardware related issue. You can only use Edge. iPhone is configured to work on AT&T's 3G frequencies.

Hardware related? 3G used to work just fine before the reset/upgrade. Is it a matter of loading another baseband? The Phone definately has hardware for 3G reception.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

3G used to work on your network then? Not someone else's who had a carrier that was official of that iPhone which was made to handle the 3G frequencies of that particular carrier?

If thats the case restore. If that fails, get another phone. Thats all you can do.

Hi Anniex423,

I really appreciate you trying to help me out. Yes. 3G used to work on this network before the restore. Im in Denmark but i believe that the phone initially was sold in either Italy or the UK locked to a phonecompany in those contries. How and what should i restore? with what tool. Im affraid that the phone will be locked again, and i wont be able to recover it this time.

Hope you can help me out.

regards
    Jacob

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

3G used to work on your network then? Not someone else's who had a carrier that was official of that iPhone which was made to handle the 3G frequencies of that particular carrier?

If thats the case restore. If that fails, get another phone. Thats all you can do.

Correct me if Im wrong tho... Currently the iPhone only support 3G speeds from AT&T. So I dont see how 3G would be working for you. Unless recently Apple released a line of devices that also supports 3G frequencies from a new carrier?

Sorry for the partial double post, my phone was acting up.

As far as I am concerned, Im not too sure 3G would or ever did work considering how it was manufactured to only run AT&T's 3G frequencies. I really hope somebody will correct me if Im wrong with some sort of new info.

You can attempt a restore by simply hitting the restore button in itunes. You have BL 5.08, if youre on 3.1.3 just downgrade your baseband again and unlock with ultrasn0w.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-26 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have 1 coworker with an iphone 3G and 2 coworkers with 3GS and they all have 3G connectivity with the same carrier as me.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well, like i said, attempt a restore and see.

A restore from what?

official itunes = then it will be locked again
    3.1.3 or 3.1.2 jailbroken image? and with what program. spirit? redsn0w? other?

I need som more info.

regards
    Jacob

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You just hit restore from itunes. Considering you said you have bootloader 5.08 you can downgrade your baseband. You dont need to download any ipsw or restore files. Just hit restore.

When its done, use redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak and download fuzzyband to downgrade the baseband and unlock it with ultrasn0w.

Ok so i did a restore to IOS4 and unlocked baseband 05.13.04 with ultrasn0w 0.93 but im stil only able to use Edge

Turning on and off 3g does absolutely nothing. It just searches for my carrier and connects with Edge again

Is my phone broken?

regars
    Jacob

noone has a clue?
    Last edited by mylle; 2010-06-22 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post

Correct me if Im wrong tho... Currently the iPhone only support 3G speeds from AT&T. So I dont see how 3G would be working for you. Unless recently Apple released a line of devices that also supports 3G frequencies from a new carrier?

Sorry for the partial double post, my phone was acting up.

As far as I am concerned, Im not too sure 3G would or ever did work considering how it was manufactured to only run AT&T's 3G frequencies. I really hope somebody will correct me if Im wrong with some sort of new info.

You can attempt a restore by simply hitting the restore button in itunes. You have BL 5.08, if youre on 3.1.3 just downgrade your baseband again and unlock with ultrasn0w.
    I'll correct you

Most GSM carriers share the same frequencies
    the only one that is different it t-mobile USA, which uses incompatable bands for the 3G

Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    I'll correct you

Most GSM carriers share the same frequencies
    the only one that is different it t-mobile USA, which uses incompatable bands for the 3G
    Right and this phone used to work with 3G

I guess im out of luck.