Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3gs quick JB/unlock question

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3gs quick JB/unlock question
    Hi All,
    Newbie here, but have been researching on web for a few weeks now on Iphone info. I have a 2G iPhone 3.1.3 which is JB and unlocked and I've been using it on Tmobile prepaid (no data) for a few weeks and its working great, no issues. Now I want to give this phone to the wife for use with her Tmobile PLAN sim card to stick in (hopefully that will work) and then buy a 3GS for myself. Since its pretty hard to find a cheap 3GS that has been unlocked, not sure if I want to buy one right now. I had a 3G that I bought on ebay, but with 5 different sim cards, all I got was "no sim card installed" and stuck on emergency call screen so I luckily returned it (hopefully I'll get my refund from the guy) thinking there was something wrong with it. He was running a gophone sim on it and it worked fine before he shipped it (sent me pictures). But I think he may have restored it before shipping it by erasing all settings etc. and I think this messed something up (tried 3 prepaid sim cards, one being a gophone sim as well as 2 active at&t plan sims from buddies at work with the iphone). Anyways, with no unlock available yet for 3.1.3, won't a Gophone sim work which is prepaid and AT&T that I can use until the unlock comes out for 4.0 when its released? I was under the impression that a gophone sim will work even if the iphone is NOT unlocked. I tried the gophone sim in my 2g and I get bars right away. But will this sim work in the 3GS without an unlock? I know there are probably literally thousands of people SOL until 4.0 comes out and the unlock would follow so why wouldn't everybody who can't use their phone just get a gophone acct. in the meantime? Of course there would be a new phone # but you'd still have service...maybe I'm missing something. Once the unlock will be out for 4.0, I could then toss the gophone sim (high text and phone rates compared to Tmobile) and then stick my tmobile sim back in it. Comments? Thanks in advance for any input.
    Dave
    Last edited by conqst99; 2010-05-23 at 10:12 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

anybody have any comments please? Don't wanna buy a 3GS if I can't even use a gophone sim! Thanks!

Only the 2G iPhone was ever approved to work with the gophone service.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If I were you I'd wait for the new unlock to be released. Then you can buy whatever 3GS you want, knowing you can unlock it always.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lefti View Post
    Only the 2G iPhone was ever approved to work with the gophone service.
    Hmm,ok didn't know that. I have a gophone sim that I guess I can pop in my friend's 3GS here at work and see what happens. That makes sense though, why everyone is so frustrated about not being able to use their phones. I was under the impression that the gophone sim will work in any iphone, but its just expensive for people who text and call alot (I think its like .25 a min. and .20 for a text). Hoping that the 3GS will be cracked for 4.0 with an unlock shortly after 4.0 is out. Even though you say the 2G is the only one that is approved, I know someone who had the gophone sim working in their 3G, and know that people who were lucky enough to not upgrade to 3.1.3 thru Itunes maintained their unlock on the 3GS. And if you have the older baseband (not 05.12.01?) you can use Fuzzyband to re-unlock for use with gophone I thought.

hi people ı have a question please answer
    ı am from turkey but ı buy my iphone 3GS in usa but ı dont signature any agreement with att becouse ı pay 700$ not 199$ so ı dont have any agreement with att but my phone doesnt work in tr ı know ı must do unlock but why my phone comes with lock ı think ıt must be come with unlock am ı right?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

All US phones are locked to AT&T whether you sign a contract or not.