Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Blacksn0w sucks ...

Default Blacksn0w sucks ...
    I travel to Europe a lot and I have a European prepaid data SIM in addition to my US ATT SIM. My 3Gs 3.1.2 05.11.07 was unlocked with blacksn0w and I had countless problems with Wifi, No Connection and total freezes on Apple logo. I had to completely re-install 3 times this year alone. After the last re-install I decided to only jb with blackra1n as I'm not going to Europe for a while. For 2 month now my iPhone has been operating flawlessly, so all the problems I had must have been caused by the unlock with blacksn0w. Is redsn0w a better solution for unlock?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Redsn0w is a jailbreak tool only. Blacksn0w is the only program that unlocks 5.11.07

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

nagyg (2010-05-15)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I don't see how Blacksn0w would affect your phone's performance... it would be the jailbreak. You should probably get your terms/tools straight before claiming something like that :P I love Blacksn0w.

I have been through this now a couple of times (i.e. reinstall), and after jb with blackra1n the iphone works fine. The problems start once I unlock with blacksn0w...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Which process are you getting blacksn0w from? Directly from Blackra1n?

When you restore are you setting the phone up as new? If youre restoring from back up, thats not always gonna eliminate the problem.

BlackSnow RC2 fixes some of the problems with BlackSn0w ( but it's not available from BlackRa1n)
    As with all of geohot's work, it will work for the majority of people but he doesn't fix problems, RC2 was not done by him but he's quite happy that others have helped fix it.
    He is, without doubt, a genius but his solutions will never be as well supported as the Dev Team's work.
    For the vast majority of people BlackSn0w works fine, if you have problems then try RC2.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

nagyg (2010-05-19)

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    BlackSnow RC2 fixes some of the problems with BlackSn0w ( but it's not available from BlackRa1n)
    As with all of geohot's work, it will work for the majority of people but he doesn't fix problems, RC2 was not done by him but he's quite happy that others have helped fix it.
    He is, without doubt, a genius but his solutions will never be as well supported as the Dev Team's work.
    For the vast majority of people BlackSn0w works fine, if you have problems then try RC2.
    I always downloaded from blackra1n and thought I had the best and latest - I did not know about RC2. I will certainly give it a try. THANKS!

restore to 3.1.2 jb with spriit then blacksn0w
    you are good to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by b18c6 itr View Post
    restore to 3.1.2 jb with spriit then blacksn0w
    you are good to go!!
    What is spriit and where can I find it?

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

blacksn0w rc2 still isnt good enough, because i used that and my tmobile carrier always drop to no service. or a flat bar for signal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Do you have your 3G toggle off?

yes it is off. what else you got?

You did remove BlackSn0w before installing RC2? Have you tried a hard reset?

yes

Quote Originally Posted by ozarka View Post
    blacksn0w rc2 still isnt good enough, because i used that and my tmobile carrier always drop to no service. or a flat bar for signal.
    thats odd coz it worked fine on 3 of my iphone 3gs'

try to restore and do a clean install on 3.1.2 05.11.07BB
    gl