Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Restore Question

Default iPhone Restore Question
    Hi,
    I just recently purchased an 8GB iPhone from the AppleStore. I downloaded ZiPhone 2.5c and used the "Do It All!" Function to unlock my iPhone to use on t-mobile. Everything worked perfectly and functions great. However, I have one question:
    Say in the future something is messed up on my iPhone and I want to use the Restore function in iTunes. If I were to click "restore" and allow it do to its thing, will my iPhone still be unlocked and working?? Or do I have to now do the restore feature in ZiPhone because it changed some firmware/baseband thing?
    Also, if I were to do the restore through iTunes, would it be a smart idea to keep a backup of the 1.1.4 firmware from Apple?
    Thanks again for your help

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If you restore it will do exactly that... RESTORE back to factory settings which will erase everything and install a fresh copy of the FW which you will then have to re-unlock/jailbreak and load all your apps on again.

You can download the 1.1.4 (or other versions) from the download tab at the top of the MMi page.

iPhone? More like MyPhone madrich's Avatar
    Thanks

If you restore to the same FW, the unlock should still be in place. When you update to a new FW, it will not be there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to madrich For This Useful Post:

ptung07 (2008-03-17)

Oh okay thank you for the replies. So, I should keep a copy of the 1.1.4 Firmware (incase Apple's future updates break the phone) and if something does screw up I can restore through iTunes that specific firmware file to restore my iPhone back to factory settings and YET still be UNLOCKED?
    Thanks again everyone

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

If you are on 1.1.4 firmware and you restore or update to 1.1.4 firmware THE UNLOCK WILL BE. BUT NOT ACTIVATED AND JAILBROKEN! So if you want 1.1.4 restore TO 1.1.4 and open Ziphone and choose DO IT ALL!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPie For This Useful Post:

ptung07 (2008-03-17)

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks everyone for explaining it to me!

iPhone? More like MyPhone madrich's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPie View Post
    If you are on 1.1.4 firmware and you restore or update to 1.1.4 firmware THE UNLOCK WILL BE. BUT NOT ACTIVATED AND JAILBROKEN! So if you want 1.1.4 restore TO 1.1.4 and open Ziphone and choose DO IT ALL!
    I do not think that is correct. If you restore from and to the same FW then you remain activated and jailbroken, and unlocked; if you have already A,J,&U.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

That is absolutely not the case. Restoring will wipe out installer and all 3rd party apps. Just for kicks why don't you try it...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yep Poseidon is right, if you restore your iPhone it restores it to "Factory Settings" which involves completely removing ALL Apps, Music, Photo's, Contacts, SMS's, Wireless Settings, Safari Bookmarks, you get the picture... it removes everything, although if you ZiPhoned, your UNLOCK remains, the Jailbreak and Activation gets wiped.

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

Madrich thats EXACTLY what i meant to say..

So if I've changed a lot of the system sounds on the phone, not through customize, but by simply replacing the old system sounds with my personal sounds, will all of that be wiped out and replaced with the "stock" ones when I do a restore from ONLY Jailbroken 1.1.4 to 1.1.4? Thanks.

Default Unlocked iPhone - Music locked in "Others" - Restoring
    I have an iPhone which was bought Unlocked. I was synching some music with iTunes and from that, things went haywire with the music storage location. There is no visible audio files, which I now understand is locked up in "Others" and is unaccessible.
    I understand that I will have to Restore to factory settings. How do I do that without loosing the "Unlocked" status? The version is 1.1.3. Everything else works and is already backed up. I know I will loose music & everything else.
    Please help me so that I don't turn it into a brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie2k View Post
    Yep Poseidon is right, if you restore your iPhone it restores it to "Factory Settings" which involves completely removing ALL Apps, Music, Photo's, Contacts, SMS's, Wireless Settings, Safari Bookmarks, you get the picture... it removes everything, although if you ZiPhoned, your UNLOCK remains, the Jailbreak and Activation gets wiped.
    I've use ziphone to unlock my phone. Will the techs at apple recognize ziphone when I bring my phone in? How do I get it back to original out of the box state?

thanks,

RICH