Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Useless 3g iphone or what?

Default Useless 3g iphone or what?
    This evening i had a perfect 3g 3.1.2 unlocked iphone using t-mobile, then something went wrong after i updated a app in cydia...so i had to restore from a custom firmware...well it went well at first, next thing i know is its stuck in apple logo mode, so all i could do is restore and accept the 3.1.3 firmware through itunes, it was either that or have a really dorky paper weight on my desk. But i guess i am screwed on unlocking this right? Because all my research tells me if i have 3.1.3 and baseband 5.12.01 with the new bootloaders 6 somthing, that means all i can use this for is a ipod or paper weight. Is this correct, or is there ever going to be a unlock...or can i pay to get it unlocked somewhere?
    A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life~ Charles Darwin

congratulations, you now have a ipod touch. you will now have to wait like the rest of the people that have upgraded for an unlock o be released...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

For future reference, next time put your phone in DFU mode and shift+restore to a STOCK ipsw.

Custom fw sometimes cause problems, I don't like them and I don't use them. Next time, don't just upgrade without asking around--you could've saved it.

No luck, i tried that as well before i had to upgrade firmware to 3.1.3 and loose unlock. I actually used a stock one first in DFU mode, but i tunes was unable to restore it, i kept getting several errors, like 1602, 1601 and a few other random ones. In the end, itunes gave me no choice but to upgrade or be stuck with a brick iphone, at least i can just as well listen to music, and use my apps..just cant use my tmobile phone service. Which really sucks, i think apple loves to screw us this way...i believe they think we will up and go to at&t if they keep trying to prevent unlocks...but whats it to them what we do with our phones. I bought it with my money, and i paid full price for it...i dont want crappy at&t so they can jerk me around..no thank you!! I have had tmobile for 8 years now, and i know exactly how much my bill is every month, and i like it that way. My brother has at&t and he gets pissed every month cause they charge whatever they feel like. I will keep mt services and buy me the new HTC HD2!!!
    A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life~ Charles Darwin

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I wouldnt recommend the HD2. Its a brilliant piece of hardware with an awful OS. It runs windows mobile--I thought that wouldnt bother me but guess what? After a week of it, I went back to my iPhone. It is a boring a** phone with windows mobile. I know 2 other people who had a 3G and 3GS and they had the HD2 for a month and they went back to the iPhone.

Youll be entertained for a few days or weeks, but in the end you will hardly use it. I mean, sure you will have you iPhone on the side for the apps, but you will hardly be touching the HD2 in the end. Its a waste of money. Save it and buy another iPhone, maybe even the new one jusy my opinion.

I tried walking around with both my iPhone and the HD2 wherever I went--hassle! Went to just taking my iPhone with me instead and left the HD2.

The phone is unstable too. When running too many programs at one time (ie more than 4) the phone fails to open anything more. Factory reset the phone multiple times and still does it. I guess I just wasnt happy with it lol.