Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Confused about unlock for 3Gs

Thanks

Default Confused about unlock for 3Gs
    OK, I'm not new to jailbreaking, but have never unlocked my phone before. I'm on AT&T, so I don't NEED to unlock, but I want to make sure it can be unlocked to help preserve future resale value. I know, weird, but I just want to plan ahead! Anyways, I have an iPhone 3Gs, model MC, but looks like it was built in week 30. And I've also checked the iBoot version, and it's the old bootrom 359.3, and the baseband is still the old 04.26.08. I'm currently jailbroken on 3.0.1, and I want to update to 3.1.3, and I'm getting confused as to whether I can upgrade the OS without messing up the baseband. I've looked at Sn0wbreeze ( http://www.redmondpie.com/sn0wbreeze...-3g-3gs-3.1.3/ ), and it says it can jailbreak the old bootrom 3Gs (non-MC model) phones, and looks like the cooked IPSW it makes also unlocks it with Hacktivation. I'm just kind of lost here with the whole unlock thing, and almost seems like my phone is a weird combo of new/old between the bootrom and model, so just trying to figure out how to unlock and jailbreak on 3.1.3 with this thing, so any help is appreciated! And sorry for the Wall of Words!
    Last edited by Hrethgir; 2010-05-13 at 10:03 PM.

You have a 3G[S], you CANNOT upgrade to 3.1.2 as Apple no longer signs the SHSH for it. Since it seems you've never had 3.1.2, you don't have the SHSH on file for it.

The best you could do, which I would avoid like rape, is to upgrade to 3.1.3 while preserving the baseband. Its a pain, and there are no features in 3.1.2 you need.

Your iPhone is currently unlockable, and leaving it the way it is would be the best

Thanks

I would leave it the way it is, except the last update to everything after Spirit came out changed ********** so it only works with OS 3.1.x, so I've lost the use of it. I'd also like to try some of the Augmented Reality apps, but they are also only 3.1.x compatible. So how do I upgrade to 3.1.3 while preserving the baseband? It seems like the cooked IPSW that Sn0wbreeze makes does it, but I'm not 100% clear on that, I don't want to try it out, just in case. And Cydia said it had my SHSH blobs for everything from 3.0 up to now, which I always thought was kind of odd since I never went above 3.0.1. Anyways, even if it is a pain in the ***, I think I'd like to take a stab at moving up to 3.1.3 and keeping my old 04.26.08 baseband, any help on doing that would be great! My guess is cooked IPSW with Sn0wbreeze, restore from that file, then hit it with Spirit to unteather it?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you have the SHSH files for 3.1.3, use them?

Thanks

Well, Cydia is back to showing SHSHs, and it says I have them on file there for 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3. Is there a way to verify that, though? I've never had above 3.0.1 on my phone, so are those really SHSH files for my device like it says? It's been a while since I last jailbroke, and losing the ability to unlock wasn't an issue then, so I never had o use the Cydia SHSH files, so this whole thing is new to me. If you can just point me to a tutorial, that would be fine, I just keep running into questions I can't seem to find answers to, so I'm just looking for someone who's maybe even done this.

OK, just found a guide here that is very similar, but a little more detailed than the other one I found:

How to Jailbreak/Unlock 3.1.3 iPhone 3GS/3G/2G iPod Touch 2G/1G with sn0wbreeze Windows

So from reading that, I think the pwned IPSW I made with Sn0wbreeze should do the trick for me, as my 3Gs has the old rootrom (4th and 5th numbers of serial are 40, and also verified iBoot with USBView), my current jailbreak is not tethered, and I am on the old 04.26.08 modem firmware. And since I am on AT&T, I don't want to run Hacktivation on the IPSW, I just go and run ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock it once I jailbreak it. Am I missing anything? I just REALLY don't want to screw this up, LOL!
    Last edited by Hrethgir; 2010-05-17 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Why do you want to upgrade?

What you can do to verify (I've never tried it, just read, so do some more research) is that you can point your HOSTS file to Cydia's SSH Server, and try a restore to 3.1.2.

If it restores fine, then the SHSH is really on file. If the SHSH isn't really there, it'll shoot you an error with doing anything to the phone

Like I said, I've never tried it, so beware of risk

Thanks

I want to upgrade because 3.0.1 doesn't support MMS, Augmented Reality apps, or the App Store of Which We Cannot Speak where you can try App Store apps for free before deciding if they are worth spending the money on them. And yes, I have actually done that.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Just cuz you didnt use the app's name doesnt mean you can mention it. I mean, rules are rules--no discussion on pirated things whether you claim youre just using it as trial or not

Just sayin.

Just use pwnage to create a custom 3.13 preserving your BB at 04.26.08 and you can still unlock with UltraSn0w
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Not everyone has a mac to use pwnagetool tho. And 3GS phones cant restore to custom fw's anyhow, right?

Find a Mac.
    Of course they can see Dev-Team Blog - Pre-game show
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

OK, I won't mention the unmentionable again. And I would love to be able to use pwnagetool, seems like the simplest and easierst method of doing it, but I don't have a Mac, and I don't know anyone who does. I work at Intel, and since we get free loaner chips yearly, everyone uses those as a basis for building their own rig, and you can't build a Mac. I guess my aunt and uncle have a Mac, now that I think about it, but they live down in SoCal, so a little out of the way for me! I wonder if I could go to Fry's and install/run pwnagetool and save the cooked IPSW onto a FLASH drive to use at home...? Although that doesn't sound like much less trouble than using Sn0wbreeze. And I don't want to get caught and banned from Fry's!

Oh, and tried installing the free Kelly Blue Book app off the app store today... needs os 3.1 or higher. Seeing this more and more often, and that's the main reason I want to upgrade.

I've no idea what 'Frys' is. I do know that people in the USA have used Macs in Apple Stores or libraries to successfully create custom FW which you can then take home and restore on your PC but I am unsure why you can't build a Hackintosh as they use Intel chips.
    Or you could get your Aunt to build you a custom ipsw and email it to you.
    I would not trust Sn0wBreeze.

Thanks

Fry's is just a big electronics store. I'll look around for someplace that might have Macs sitting around that I can use for cooking FW, that's not a too bad idea as long as I can get away with it without getting caught. Not even going to try the nearest Apple Store, though, as it's 45 minutes away and always crowded. And the library runs PCs, no Macs there. And I guess I could build a Hackintosh, but I have better things to spend that money on than a computer to run pwnage tool. Because otherwise, I have no desire to have a Mac computer.

By the way, why do you not trust Sn0wbreeze? Seems to be the way to cook the IPSW with a Windows PC.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Why not download a custom 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 that was created with Pwnage Tool and do a Shift/Restore in iTunes? You are already jailbroken and you have the 3GS that can accept custom firmwares. It will bypass the validation and you will have your baseband intact.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Hrethgir (2010-05-20)

Thanks

Honestly, I never thought about that. Although that whole trust issue comes into play with this, as in I'd have to trust that the firmware was actually what it says it is. But I'll look around for some precooked firmware, thanks for that idea!

Thanks

Found a pwned FW to download, so I am now jailbroken and unlocked on my 3Gs with the old 04.26.08 baseband still intact. I tried Sn0wbreeze, but the FW I cooked with it was epic fail, didn't work. Still getting everything set back up, but it's just detail work now.