Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The 3G un-unlockable Issue!!! F-you apple and f-you AT&T too!!!!!

Default The 3G un-unlockable Issue!!! F-you apple and f-you AT&T too!!!!!
    Before I vent, here's my question:
    The 3.1.2. 05.12.01 non-5.08 Bootloader Issue:
    Is it technically possible that we will see an unlock in the future?
    From what I understand it's also a little bit a hardware issue and not just software!

========================

This is just the venting, no need to read any further.
    @#$%=f-word

I had a 2g iphone for several years with T-Mobile until I dropped it last weekend and now it's toast.
    I bought a 3G off of ebay until I found out about the above issue.
    That's when I got really pissed!
    I buy their @#$%in product and those @#$%ers won't let me use it!
    If jailbreaking is the actual part of all this that really is declared illegal, but unlocking isn't, why the @#$% is it then not possible! @#$%ers!
    I don't wanna sign up with AT&T, because their network @#$%in sucks! I have several friends and family members on AT&T....please, give me a break! What a rip off for a @#$%in service!
    So, here I am, now I have to sell the phone I just bought again on ebay, I will very likely loose money on that and buy a 2G phone again to be happy for a while!
    All that because @#$%in Apple does not let me use their product, with the carrier of my choice!
    In @#$%in Europe all phones are unlocked, you can use them on any network!
    If you're wondering...yes I could just buy a droid or HTC2 from t-mobile, but I just had my car equipped with iphone/ipod system for $300.....

Hang tight software version 4.0 will be out next month and there will be motivation to jailbreak and unlock

3. The Following User Says Thank You to risestar For This Useful Post:

dogdaysunrise (2010-05-13)

Quote Originally Posted by risestar View Post
    Hang tight software version 4.0 will be out next month and there will be motivation to jailbreak and unlock
    I thanked you, simply because you made my day and gave me hope!

Not that anyone cares or it's important, but I bought me new screen and digitizer and hope to fix my 2g while I wait for 3g unlock.
    Last edited by dogdaysunrise; 2010-05-14 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Yes other countries have different laws and rules. This is why other countries you have the option to unlock from companies. There are countries that they have to be sold unlocked. But the rules and laws with exclusive contracts has allowed ATT and Apple keep phones locked. Also the US has providers using different tech; CMDA and GSM and on different frequency. So to allow all the providers Apple would be making several different tech in the phones as far as radio signal goes. Also any company will have bad spots for service in random areas. I live in the Twin Cities and get great recception here. I travel to the south a couple times a year and never lose 3G full bars. When I had t-Mobile and sprint I would lose it for several chunks and even the area I would be staying at. So there are bad areas.

Apple does not get the cut of second hand sales so buying off ebay Apple has already got their money from the first buyer.

4.0 is not far away and it should be unlocked. Many have hung in there this far and we should be in the home stretch. Your situation is very understandable. People want the great device and want to be able to use who they want.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

I'm good now! Thanks for your post.
    I was just really, really mad about it yesterday, now that I got a screen/digitizer/frontglass assembly for my 2g coming and I hope I can fix it myself, I'm excited.
    The 3G sits in the box now.......

There are alot of mobile devices out on the market which are carrier specific....people tend to forget that and only rant about the iphone, which doesnt makes sense. Actually, most of the devices on the market are locked to a specific carrier.

I know, I unlocked nokia and samsung phones too.
    I also unlocked DVD Players.

It just seems all so stupid.

I completely agree, if you buy a device it should be 100% yours to do with what you like.

I just dont agree with people being so angry with Apple, for doing the same thing that everyone else does.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Yep, but I think a decent part is that ATT and Apple will not allow an unlock no matter what. Where as all devices that are locked to a carrier the carrier will give you a unlock code. Apple and ATT will not do that under any circumstance. I used to go through so many phones and ATT would unlock with no issues for free.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Yep, but I think a decent part is that ATT and Apple will not allow an unlock no matter what. Where as all devices that are locked to a carrier the carrier will give you a unlock code. Apple and ATT will not do that under any circumstance. I used to go through so many phones and ATT would unlock with no issues for free.
    I can 2nd this - one call to AT&T and they would always give me the unlock code for my Motorola or Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by nagyg View Post
    I can 2nd this - one call to AT&T and they would always give me the unlock code for my Motorola or Sony.
    I apologize, but I don't understand that.
    Does that mean you had a Sony or Moto from another carrier and called ATT and they gave you the unlock code so you can use it with ATT?

Or was it a Sony/Moto from ATT and you wanted to use it with another Carrier and ATT gave you the unlock code?

Either way, I can't call T-Mobile to give me the unlock code (I guess there is none for an iphone anyway) for my iphone or ATT to unlock it so I can use it with T-Mobile....LOLZ!
    Last edited by dogdaysunrise; 2010-05-15 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    I completely agree, if you buy a device it should be 100% yours to do with what you like.

I just dont agree with people being so angry with Apple, for doing the same thing that everyone else does.

Umm, not really. I can't speak for people with any other carriers, but on T-Mobile I can have any phone I purchase from them unlocked. I just have to call customer support and ask for the code. They do this for any of their customers that have been with them for 90 days or more, I believe. I don't know what Verizon's policy is, but as for T-Mo, they surely are much more willing to work with their customers than AT&T & Apple are.

Quote Originally Posted by dogdaysunrise View Post
    I apologize, but I don't understand that.
    Does that mean you had a Sony or Moto from another carrier and called ATT and they gave you the unlock code so you can use it with ATT?

Or was it a Sony/Moto from ATT and you wanted to use it with another Carrier and ATT gave you the unlock code?

Either way, I can't call T-Mobile to give me the unlock code (I guess there is none for an iphone anyway) for my iphone or ATT to unlock it so I can use it with T-Mobile....LOLZ!
    The phones were locked to ATT. ATT gave me the unlock codes so I could use the phones in Europe with local SIMS ...