Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroken Iphone help please.

Default Jailbroken Iphone help please.
    i have a iPhone 3gs jail-broken with black rain firmware 3.1.3, he is exactly what happened, my phone died, so i plugged it in when i got home and went to grab it and it wouldn't turn on, so i have tried like 20 times to do the home and power button resets and it acts like its gonna come on and it goes black, and when i plug it in the computer and try that is says connect to iTunes and restore because the iPhone is in recovery mode, how can i do this without loosing all of my jail-broken downloads and apps, why is iTunes not recognizing my phone?? sorry for so long post, figured id give a the best info so i could be helped thanks!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Looks like you're going to need to restore. Hopefully you weren't needing an unlock as you'll probably lose it. If iTunes isn't picking up your phone, try putting it in DFU mode or recovery mode (whichever one actually works, sometimes the phone won't do one or the other). For DFU mode, when the phone is on, hold down power button and home button until screen goes black, then release power button but continue to hold home button for 10-15 seconds. This should put you in DFU mode (black screen is what you should see) and iTunes should pick it up. If not, while the phone is off, hold the power and home button until the apple logo shows, then release the power button and continue to hold the home button. You should then see an itunes and plug screen. You are then in recovery mode. iTunes should pick up the phone in this mode as well. If you have done the above already and iTunes recognizes the phone and requests a restore, you should restore unless you have found an alternative to accessing your phone through SSH and eliminating the problem from within. I've had this problem and I had to restore, I could not find the problem nor could I SSH my phone. You will lose your jailbroken apps and everything else, unfortunately. Good luck.