Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking question (not process)

Default Unlocking question (not process)
    Ok so i've wanted the iPhone for some time now, and have finally decided to take the leap. However, last night I had an idea on how to get my iPhone, and stick it to the 'man' (AT&T) at the same time. However, before I spend any money or time on this endeavor, I want to know if its possible. I know you can unlock the iPhone to any network that is GSM capable, and I also know the only 2 networks capable are AT&T and T-Mobile. So my question is this, is it possible to get a PayGO sim from AT&T, get the $60 unlimited prepay plan, put it into an iPhone thats been unlocked and basically get the same quality plan as a contractual plan for around 40 dollars per month cheaper? Would AT&T be able to tell that I stuck a prepay card into the iPhone especially since its their very own prepay service? Would my internet be slowed down or non-existent or would it stay at 3G speeds? If anyone has tried this, please let me know as i'm super curious.
    Last edited by NickGaulin; 2010-04-25 at 12:23 AM.

If its activated, they can tell. Just pay for it.

What about Tmobile prepay? I just cant see signing into a contract, I HATE contract deals. Would they be able to tell if it was TMobile's prepay?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If the iPhone you get is unocked, you can use either. I have two on prepaid AT&T.

Are you getting 3G internet or are you getting standard net or is your net cut off completely? I've extremely interested to find out. Thank you for your information as well.