Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: redsn0w jailbreak successful! But No Phone Service!

Default redsn0w jailbreak successful! But No Phone Service!
    I was able to unlock my G2 iphone with redsn0w-mac_0.9.4 and everything went smashingly and the phone activated and is up and running. But when I put in my SIM card the phone recognized it but won't give me any phone service. Everything else works. I'm on AT&T. I have another jailbroken iphone that I use on AT&T and it works great. I have a data block on my account so I don't get charged for data. I use WiFi for internet access. So why no phone service?
    "Travel light, live light, spread the light, be the light"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Since you have AT&T uncheck activate in redsnow and it should work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You will have to restore your phone first.. then activate with iTunes.. then run redsn0w.

Default Want to avoid iTunes activation
    NG. I'm trying to avoid the standard iTunes activation because the first thing you have to do is register your iPhone with AT&T. I'm sort of flying under the AT&T radar here.

My other jailbroken iphone works fine on AT&T. It was already activated when I bought it on eBay. I never had to register it with AT&T. I just dropped my SIM card in and Voila! I have a data block on my account and since I don't use any data on AT&T's wireless network, they can't very well charge me for the data package. Possibly they know that I have an iPhone but no one from ATT has ever squawked about it. On my bill it shows my old Nokia free phone.

So maybe I need more than the redsn0w activation but less than the iTunes activation....any ideas?

Thanks

If you called customer care, they know youre using an iPhone. They can see the imei on their system

And data block? Sounds like prepaid. I have two on prepaid. They work fine. If I used factory firmware to restore, then jailbroke, I would get no service. So I used custom firmware, jailbroke, and now have service with no issues. Just did this again for a friend last night.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mavrik101 For This Useful Post:

cousinphil (2010-04-20)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I just rejailbroke my 3GS and unfortunately ended up with a hacktivated ipsw leaving me with no signal. I fired up Cydia, installed Blacksn0w, and now have full AT&T service. I want to restore to a stock 3.1.2 so I can activate through iTunes, but don't want to chance the 3.1.3 russian roulette game. Have you tried unlocking your phone?

Default No service
    Quote Originally Posted by mavrik101 View Post
    If I used factory firmware to restore, then jailbroke, I would get no service. So I used custom firmware, jailbroke, and now have service with no issues. Just did this again for a friend last night.
    Thanks, Mavrik. This sounds promising. So what custom firmware do you recommend?

I took the precaution of calling customer care and setting up the data block BEFORE switching the SIM from my Nokia. No problems.

Thanks

If youre going to download the firmware, just google "iphone 3.1.2 custom firmware". Click the link(s) and read instructions to find the correct one for your phone. I avoid 3.1.3 because i dont want to "accidentally" upgrade my baseband and be unable to unlock.

Thanks

Have you tried running the unlock?

Hey guys. I just installed the iPhone1_1_3.1.2_7D11_Custom_Restore.ipsw but still have no service. So I tried to run redsn0w but it won't recognize that custom firmware. This is a 2G phone. Should I run Blacksn0w?

This iphone had 3.1.3 firmware loaded when I bought it. Maybe because of that my goose is cooked. But I read somewhere that 2G phones are immune to the baseband troubles that 3G phones are subject to. If I can't get this little number unlocked I'm going to sell it on eBay and get one that's never been upgraded to 3.1.3. But in the meantime, I'm not giving up yet. Got any other ideas? cousinphil

Thanks

Have you followed this tutorial? Sounds like it should be easy.. Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 2G OS 3.1.3 with Redsn0w | jailbreak

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

cousinphil (2010-04-21)

Wow! Haven't seen that tutorial. I'll try it. Thanks a lot!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cousinphil For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (2010-04-21)

Thanks

You are welcome!

Default Still NO SERVICE
    Hey guys. No good. I followed the tutorial and everything went well but when the iphone finally rebooted after the whole jailbreaking process there was no signal. In the upper left corner where the reception bars are it said SEARCHING... And then after about 15 seconds it said NO SERVICE. I tried restoring to the original 3.1.2 firmware and to the custom 3.1.2 firmware and to 3.1.3 but nothing seems to work. Maybe the receiver in the phone is broken. Maybe it's a hardware problem, not a software problem. What are the chances of that? Maybe I should restore it to stock apple firmware and take it down to AT&T and let them test it.

Thanks

Ok one more time

Try this one: It will put your phone on 3.1.3, jailbreak it, then unlock it.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7436
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 2010-04-21 at 05:49 AM.

Capt. Chaos. What do you mean apply the unlock after the jailbreak? I used redsn0w and I checked "install Cydia" and "Unlock" as part of the jailbreak process. That should have unlocked it, right? Apparently it didn't.

I read over the iclarified link that you gave me.... I swear I did all of those things. The only difference was I was using redsn0w 0.9.4 instead of 0.9.2.

Thanks again, cousinphil

Thanks

Sorry, I forgot redsnow unlocks during the process. Then try 0.9.2! I don't know if it will make a difference.