Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2G unlock question

Question iPhone 2G unlock question
    Ok here is the situation. I got this iPhone 2G that has been restored using itunes and I have no idea what the firmware version is. I want to unlock/jailbreak it. It will end up being for a friend in the Philippines so the 2G is perfect for them and cheaper than the 3G.

I am an AT&T customer so I do have a 3G and sim card. I tried putting it in the 2G but when I connected it to itunes it wanted to activate the phone and then warned that if I have any employee discounts on my account they will be taken away for some reason. I do have a discount through my work so I don't want to lose that. So is there anyway around that or should I just activate it to unlock it and then call up AT&T and say there was a mistake and I want my work discount back? Any ideas? Is anyone sure if I go through the itunes process that it will indeed unlock the phone so I can jailbreak it? Is there any consequence to using the wrong software to jailbreak it if I happen to guess the wrong firmware? Or can I try RedSnow for version 3.0?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

It will drop the discount. Just jailbreak it and hacktivate it and all should be well, without having to activate in iTunes.

Guide: http://modmyi.com/guides/how-jailbre...-windows-os-x/
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Ok I will read the guide. Thanks. I thought I needed to know for sure what the firmware was before jailbreaking.

So I will just run the RedSnow software from the guide and not worry about the updating the firmware part? Sorry for all the questions and really appreciate the help.
    Last edited by luckeycharms; 2010-04-15 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

No problem. I would follow the guide completely. I think the guide is for 3.1.3.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

luckeycharms (2010-04-15)

Thank you so much. It worked. I had to figure some things out on my own but for the most part the guide worked. I had to find some additional instructions for getting the phone into DFU mode and getting it to do a restore of the firmware but after that the RedSnow instructions worked like a charm. :-)