Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I upgrade my 3Gs from 3.0 to only 3.1.2?

Default Can I upgrade my 3Gs from 3.0 to only 3.1.2?
    Hey Everyone,

This is my first iPhone, so excuse me as I'm trying to bring myself up to speed on everything.

I've got a 32GB 3Gs, running Version 3.0 (7A341), on Modem Firmware 04.26.08. I'm Jailbroken and Unlocked (using T-Mobile). In Cydia, it says "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.2, 3.1.3."

Since there's some new apps that require me to be on at least 3.1 or higher, I would like to upgrade to just 3.1.2, and be able to keep my JB/Unlock. Is there a problem doing this? And How?

I was recently reading up on the modification to my "host" file in Windows, to include the IP and apple site name, for my iTunes. But I'm not sure what the best course of action is next, to get where I want to me.

Any expert advice out there?
    Many Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No problem doing this , but READ before you do it. Look at the tutorials and understand them before you try. 04.26.08, Redsn0w and ultrasn0w are probably the jailbreak and unlock you should use.

Default Where's there a good/clear step-by-step tutorial?
    Does anyone have or know of a link, that'll describe the steps I'll need, to upgrade only to 3.1.2, without me accidentally upgrading to 3.1.3 (kiss of death)? lol.

Thanks!!

Thanks

I'll pm you

Quote Originally Posted by Braunmann View Post
    Does anyone have or know of a link, that'll describe the steps I'll need, to upgrade only to 3.1.2, without me accidentally upgrading to 3.1.3 (kiss of death)? lol.

Thanks!!
    go to redmondpie.com

Default Exact Same Situation
    Hi Mavrik101,

I'm having the exact same problem. I took an iPhone 3GS from a friend which was at 3.0.1, jailbroke it redsn0w 0.8 and unlocked with ultrasn0w, added my SHSH on Cydia. I decided to reset all contents and settings to wipe my friend's info from the device but keep getting stuck on apple logo when I restart. I was planning to update to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with blackra1n but itunes won't let me!

what should I do next?

Thanks

Do you know when your iPhone was made? Look on the sim tray.
    The 3rd and 4th number will be the week it was produced. If it is over 40, you probably have a tethered jailbreak, meaning you will have to run blackra1n anytime your battery dies or you reboot.

And if you want to upgrade the 3gs to 3.1.2, you'll have to create or download custom firmware. Do not use 3.1.3 factory firmware, as this will update your baseband to 5.12.01, which cannot be unlocked yet.

Now, if you still have restore problems where you get stuck in the boot loop (apple logo comes up, but phone never restarts), try this link. It worked for me:

blacksn0w crashes 3.1.2 firmware 05.11.07 baseband 3GS, no shsh on file (Solution) extechblog

Maverik,
    Can you please PM me the steps as well? I have a macbook I dunno if that makes a difference