Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PLEASE HELP! Do I need to activate after jailbreaking?

Default PLEASE HELP! Do I need to activate after jailbreaking?
    I'm currently the highest bidder on an iPhone 3G on eBay. It works, but the camera shutter won't open (that's another issue though). Anyway, when I get it, I'm immediately jailbreaking it. I have a Verizon enV2, but I know I can't use my iPhone with that. But once I jailbreak it, I'm going to install ultrasn0w to unlock it. But will this require me to re-activate it? I don't have an AT&T sim card. The only thing I have are two old T-Mobile and VoiceStream SIM cards. They don't work because both those plans were deactivated. So if I need to insert a SIM, I can use those. So can you please advise me on what to do?

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!! You rock.

Sincerely,
    Rahul

P.S. for the camera issue, is it software or hardware? it was apparently submerged in the sink for 3 secs but dried out with rice. this is not my MAIN dilemma though...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If you create custom firmware that is activated, you wont need an ATT sim card.
    Also I had an iphone that I bought from craigslist, and the camera didnt work on either, but when I restored, it worked fine. Hopefully it'll do the same on yours.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mavrik101 For This Useful Post:

rahulfrancis (2010-04-05)

Thanks for the quick response. By custom firmware, you mean using Pwnage Tool to jailbreak it? Also, hm did u pay for the iPhone you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by rahulfrancis View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. By custom firmware, you mean using Pwnage Tool to jailbreak it? Also, hm did u pay for the iPhone you bought?

Also, in response to mavrik, when you restore, do you have to re-activate? If yes, it would be hell for me.
    Last edited by rahulfrancis; 2010-04-05 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Correct on the restore.
    And yes I paid for the iphone. He dropped the price because the camera wasnt working. Only came up black when i opened the camera app. Surprised me when I restored and it worked again.
    Re-activate? When you do the custom restore, iphone should be jailbroken. Now, depending on your baseband, you would choose your unlock tool. 5.11.07 will use blacksn0w. 4.11.07 and below will use utlrasn0w. Once its unlocked, it will find your carrier (T-mobile) and youre good!

Wait--- so I'd need to reactivate or not? (confused on the "correct")
    How much did you pay? I'm getting it for $51.

Thanks again mavrik.

_-_-_->RF

Thanks

Correct on the pwnage tool. No, you would not need to reactivate.

51 bucks? Smokin deal. I paid 200. Is the only problem with the phone the camera? If yes, then yea you got a great deal.