Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS on 3.1.2 / 3.1.3 with bb 5.12.01 - use it with original carrier?

Default 3GS on 3.1.2 / 3.1.3 with bb 5.12.01 - use it with original carrier?
    Hi,

I was wondering if there is a possibility to reset a 3GS to the factory settings and buy a SIM where it was originally locked to? I searched in forums, but nobody had this as a suggestion. My iPhone was locked in Orange, cannot I just buy an Orange SIM? Won't it work after resetting everything to the factory settings (except the baseband)?

Thanks,
    Zsolt.

That should work fine with you, but this is not jailbreaking nor unlocking.

Jailbreaking enables you to download and install software other than those approved by Apple, which you can only download through the Apple Store, thus using Cydia and others.

But there is a catch. Jailbreaking does not mean unlocking. To be able to use any SIM on your iPhone, you need to unlock it first unless you buy a factory ulocked device.

Sometimes, you can jailbreak but not unlock depending on your firmware version and baseband. Example, if you have the old firmware 3.1.2 with a basedband 5.12.01 then you can jailbreak but not unlock until someone comes on a giant white horse and finds a solution.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blackgold11 For This Useful Post:

CiZsolt (2010-04-06)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgold11 View Post
    That should work fine with you, but this is not jailbreaking nor unlocking.

Jailbreaking enables you to download and install software other than those approved by Apple, which you can only download through the Apple Store, thus using Cydia and others.

But there is a catch. Jailbreaking does not mean unlocking. To be able to use any SIM on your iPhone, you need to unlock it first unless you buy a factory ulocked device.

Sometimes, you can jailbreak but not unlock depending on your firmware version and baseband. Example, if you have the old firmware 3.1.2 with a basedband 5.12.01 then you can jailbreak but not unlock until someone comes on a giant white horse and finds a solution.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
    Protip: The solution's been found. It's a matter of when he decides to release it - either with 3.2 or with 4.0. The latter means a few months wait, while 3.2 means a matter of days or weeks most likely.

Happy with an iPhone. No iPad needed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xdz For This Useful Post:

CiZsolt (2010-04-06)

Thanks blackgold11!

Finally I managed to restore my 3GS to earlier versions (3.1, 3.1.2 too), but of course modem firmware was not downgraded, it's still on 5.12.01.. Jailbreak can be done on these versions, but it cannot load the network list.

So, in conclusion, it does not matter what kind of software version you have on your iPhone 3GS, if you accidentally upgraded your modem firmware to 5.12.01 currently you have no publicly released solution for unlocking your phone and using it with any carrier. Right?

I also found custom iPhone firmwares (these can be created with pwnage tool?) for example 3.1.2 that's already activated, but there is no custom firmware that's already unlocked.

Btw. how do you find out to which carrier was your iPhone locked to? On it's box there is no badge of any carrier..

Thanks,
    Zsolt.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default 3GS on 3.1.2 / 3.1.3 with bb 5.12.01 - use it with original carrier?
    It should recognize the official carrier EXCEPT you activated with blackra1n after the downgrade!

This french Tutorial shows more helpful screenshots than text (and a video)
    for how to switch USB ports to reboot, using Terminal.

Translation is here : http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ml#post5218622
    --------
    [Tuto] Downgrade/Restaure 3Gs New iBoot 3.1.3 vers 3.1.2 - Forum iPhone / iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS for Windows
    (Mac link is here)
    [Tuto] Downgrade iphone 3Gs new iboot 3.1.3 en 3.1.2 sous Mac osX - Forum iPhone / iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS
    --------
    It worked for me with new baseband, new iboot and locked to an operator, after downgrade in iTunes 9.0.3.

I had carrier immediately and didn't loose it after a jailbreak with redsn0w 0.94 and the same firmware 3.1.2.

WiFi works fine, too, after having reinitialized network settings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0199.png  
    Last edited by Rocky34; 2010-05-02 at 02:39 AM. Reason: joined link for translation