Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Brand New 3gs Unlock Please help! newbie

Default Brand New 3gs Unlock Please help! newbie
    Hi,

I am very much new to unlocking and jailbreaking stuff, so please bear with me.

I have done a lot of reading and could not get some answers. I greatly appreciate any help you can provide me.

Bought a Brand New iphone 3gs in Jan, was told by iphone shop that it has 3.1.2 firmware on it.

I would like to jailbreak with blackra1n and unlock with blacksn0w.

When I power the phone I get the Usb cable with Itunes screen.

How do i find out the baseband..?
    If it is 05.11.07, I can use blackra1n.. (i guess),
    if it is any other baseband what do i do..?

Any other precautions I have to consider before I jailbreak and unlock it ..?

it would be great help if you could please guide me through the procedure.

Kind Regards
    Shyla

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If it is 3.1.2 bb 5.11.07 you can jailbreak and unlock with Blackra1n and Blacksn0w, respectively. Blacksn0w will come within the Blackra1n process. You may receive a tethered jailbreak which nothing can be done about it at this point. A tethered jailbreak is determined by your bootrom version. You can find out whether your phone is jailbreakable, unlockable, tetherd/untethered by going to ih8sn0w.com and using f0recast.

If your baseband is 5.12.07 it is not unlockable. If it is anything below 5.11.07 you may use Ultrasn0w to unlock, but I doubt it is not 5.11.07 since you said it should be on 3.1.2. Unless they had preserved the baseband previously, but if that is the case you may find Ultrasn0w in Cydia after a jailbreak to your phone.

You will not be able to unlock at 5.12.07 and there is no downgrade possibility if it is at that baseband.

Btw, if you do not know what a tethered jailbreak is, it is in regards to the phone rebooting and needing to run Blackra1n every time your reboot. Respringing does not count. If your phone shut off on low batter or needed to reboot due to an installation such as WinterBoard, you will be required to run Blackra1n on your phone to get it back to the springboard. You will not need to rejailbreak/reinstall anything, this is simply a need to rehacktivate your phone (if it is already jailbroken).
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-03-31 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Hm yeah those links need to be removed. That's an infringement.

Also, jailbreaks can vary on 3GS depending on what your bootrom is and whether or not it has been jailbroken before. You can't just walk in and post a general guide like that without specifying or else other noobs will get confused and mess their phone up over this. You also shouldn't post up such a general guide as this thread asks specifically for 3GS the 3G and 2G is completely irrelevant.

Those links really need to go tho that's the main point.