Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: n00b pay to unlock or DIY? pls help me decide

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default n00b pay to unlock or DIY? pls help me decide
    I've read many threads but need advice. The unlocking instructions I've found so far confuse me. Is there a simple step by step guide that's EASY? Maybe I should pay...but who?

Goal: put my wife's sim in my 2g. Both of us have ATT. It has 3.1.2 I have disabled the ability to use edge data, it does wifi though. I don't pay for a data plan. Phone has never been unlocked or broken.

I've had the phone apart and replaced audio flex and case, but when I look at the instructions, unlocking concerns me.

Thanks! --So many great posts here.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Why would it need to be unlocked if it is just going to be another AT&T sim?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

There is no need for an unlock since both of you are on ATT. Since you have no data plan you want to turn off all data connections, minus wifi of course. If your phone is jailbroken there is a program in Cydia that will allow you to shut off all the cell data connections with one button.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

How did you disable the use of Edge on a stock firmware?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    There is no need for an unlock since both of you are on ATT. Since you have no data plan you want to turn off all data connections, minus wifi of course. If your phone is jailbroken there is a program in Cydia that will allow you to shut off all the cell data connections with one button.
    I don't know why it doesn't work. I put my sim in and it works. Hers does not. Both sims appear to be the same. Her sim and mine both work in our other phones (SE 760 and pantec Breeze). First time I used the 2g, I activated through ATT, and called them back to say I wanted to switch back because of the plan cost. Later I put my sim in the 2g and it was still activated. Been using it since without data plan. Great 4 me. I have wifi at home and work.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    How did you disable the use of Edge on a stock firmware?
    How to Use an iPhone Without the Data Plan

Do you think unlocking my phone would let me put my wife's sim in it?
    Last edited by nachoman; 2010-03-24 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It could, since its a 2G, you've got nothing to lose, just run blacksn0w, if it doesn't work, simply restore.