Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buying a NEW iPhone 3GS today...confused!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Point them at the Apple.com support forums. There are many reasons not to want 3.1.3. People are having issues with phones freezing, batteries draining for no reason, etc. 3.1.2 is a better firmware.

Ah ok, I'll give it a try!:P Sorry for all the hassle, wasn't trying to troll or anything.

Thanks

I don't see it as a hassle at all. I will not own a stock iPhone. The day that jailbreaking ends is the day I turn my phone into an iPod touch and move on to open source phones. It is best to be well informed especially when there is a firmware out that can't be jailbroken or unlocked out of the box. Good luck!

I don't care about jailbreaking to be honest, like I said most of the apps in jailbreak either don't work or are never updated when new firmware comes out. To me it's not even worth it, there are hundreds of thousands of apps on the app store. If I can't find what I need there then oh well.

Actually I'm not sure this is even going to work. I've called 3 stores and nobody has any phones from Jan and before.

This sucks, nobody has phones from 2 months ago...

I'm in luck the shack has one lol! Off I go...
    Last edited by Dayvidpriddy; 2010-03-19 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Sweet!

Hey Captain...

Just so I'm sure of what I'm doing. You said the 3rd digit (from left to right) represents the year and the 4th and 5th digits represent the week? I just want to make sure it's the same way for the 3GS before I go down there. Hope you can reply quick.

Thanks

Yes that is how it works.

OK guys help me out here I'm stuck again or confused...not sure which.

My phone (out of the box) has OS 3.1.2 and the "modem firmware" is 05.11.07 which seems to be of some importance when it comes to what you can do.

I want to jailbreak & unlock the phone at 3.1.2 (no upgrading OS until 4.0 comes out which everyone is advising to do. I don't understand which program I'm suppose to use. Captain told me to use blackra1n but according to a Google search that will not unlock my phone, it will only jailbreak it (unless I'm even more confused then I thought lol.) Which is it?

Thanks again everyone for your help!
    Last edited by Dayvidpriddy; 2010-03-20 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    OK guys help me out here I'm stuck again or confused...not sure which.

My phone (out of the box) has OS 3.1.2 and the "modem firmware" is 05.11.07 which seems to be of some importance when it comes to what you can do.

I want to jailbreak & unlock the phone at 3.1.2 (no upgrading OS until 4.0 comes out which everyone is advising to do. I don't understand which program I'm suppose to use. Captain told me to use blackra1n but according to a Google search that will not unlock my phone, it will only jailbreak it (unless I'm even more confused then I thought lol.) Which is it?

Thanks again everyone for your help!
    Its easy. Download Blackra1n from here.

After that, connect your phone to the computer using the USB cable. Now run blackra1n and click ''Make it rain'' and wait until your phone reboot.

After your phone reboots, you will see the blackrain icon on it, click on it and download cydia and sn0w *internet requires. And you're done.

So when does the actual unlocking happen...when I run blackra1n or when I download and install cydia and sn0w? With the 2G I was use to seeing "iPhone unlocked" or something like that.

Also I should have asked but I forgot, if I just want to unlock the phone and not jailbreak it, is that possible or do you have to do both? I ask because I'm not really interested in jailbreak (most of the apps don't work right and are never updated when new versions of iPhone OS are released.) At least that is my experience from the past.

Thanks again!

What do people do now if they have the new bootroom? You can't really do anything but plug it in and blackra1n it again correct?
    If I helped thank me!

Thanks

If you have the new bootrom you have to run blackrain if your device dies or needs a reboot. To dayvid: I answered your PM.

Hey Captain...I'm assuming I will find out if I have to run blackra1n everytime I reboot my phone once I jailbreak and unlock and then go to reboot the phone? What will happen if I have that updated bootrom you were talking about?

Thanks

Haha just let him buy it and find out for himself. It's obvious he's not going to accept any answers except the one he want to hear.

Screw you dude, this crap is confusing to me. I'm asking for help because I don't understand. If I did it without asking and messed my phone up you would complain because I didn't ask. Get over it!

Thanks

I do apologize. I thought the thread ended at the first page where you were still arguing that Jody sanders could unlock your phone. I now see that the thread went past the first page.
    WOW, no need to get nasty fella. I shall not screw myself , I'm not even really sure how that would be accomplished.

It's not that I'm trying to argue what Jody is doing, he claims he's not selling the software but rather providing a service of instructions so people do not have to search all over the net to figure out how to unlock/jailbreak their phone. But I have been a customer of his since 2008 (when I got the original 2G) and never had any issues...if he posted that something would work it worked!

But attacking me because I keep asking questions is not very nice either. If I search Google on how to unlock 3.1.2 there is not two pages that give the same instructions, this is why it's confusing to me. It's not that I don't trust Captain, but in his instructions he's leaving out information that other websites says you have to do, that is why I'm asking.

On a youtube video I watched lastnight this guy was giving instruction on how to unlock/jailbreak with 3.1.2 using blackra1n, he gave the same instructions that Captain did EXCEPT for having to open up Cydia and add a source to the phone and install it before the phone would be unlocked. In Captains instructions, he said nothing about this. This is why I asked.

You guys should at least be able to understand why people use Jody's services. There is so much confusion online about this, his site is a "one stop shop", you go there and you get what you need without searching all over the place and getting different instructions from site to site.

As far as getting back to 3.1.3 goes, he has page after page after page of people leaving feedback about using his software to unlock 3.1.3, I doubt these posts are made up by him and his company. Like I said I've been a customer of his since 2008 and I can vouch first hand that anything they have ever posted on their site about what they can do and what they can't do has always been up to par! He claims he can unlock 3.1.3, people are posting thanking him that their phones are now unlocked, I'm not sure how you can argue this?

I'm still sitting here with 3.1.2 locked...I have not paid the upgrade price for the 3GS to use his service on his site yet. Still trying to see why I should trust the internet over him.
    Last edited by Dayvidpriddy; 2010-03-20 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks

His early bird unlock unlock is for customers of carriers that offer factory unlocks anyway, not for AT&T.

If you want to use it that's fine. Just so you don't expect it to do anything that can't be done by everyone else.
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 2010-03-20 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yeah I found that out, nice that he doesn't post that on the site lol.

So I'm all ready to do this now, just downloading the firmware so I can do a fresh install before beginning. 30 minutes to download from modmyi? My God!

Yahhh I did it! Sucks though, I have to load blackra1n everytime I reboot phone though. But not biggie... Thanks for putting up with twink.
    Last edited by Dayvidpriddy; 2010-03-21 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    So when does the actual unlocking happen...when I run blackra1n or when I download and install cydia and sn0w? With the 2G I was use to seeing "iPhone unlocked" or something like that.

Also I should have asked but I forgot, if I just want to unlock the phone and not jailbreak it, is that possible or do you have to do both? I ask because I'm not really interested in jailbreak (most of the apps don't work right and are never updated when new versions of iPhone OS are released.) At least that is my experience from the past.

Thanks again!
    You must jailbreak your phone before unlocking it. And after that, don't update, because if you update the phone then you're going to loose the unlock and jailbreak.

After the phone reboots, you will have an icon that says ''BlackRa1n.'' But first go configure your wifi, because you'll need an internet connection to the programs from Backra1n. After you do that, go to the Blackra1n icon and download Sn0w from there. And that's it, your iphone will be unlocked after you download Sn0w.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12