Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Delete activation records/reactivate?

Default Delete activation records/reactivate?
    I have a iPhone 3GS with 3.1.2 blackra1n jailbreak/unlock. I did not use a legit sim to activate so my. Nimble and inject isn't an option becuase I'd have to restore my other 3g after implant. So could I delete activation records from my phone and reboot and reactivate with legit AT&T sim card?

Also I have an iPhone 3g 3.1.2 unlocks legit activation unlocked. How can i restore and wipe everything so after i so the nimble and inject from my 3G to 3Gs they won't be getting each others push notifications. The 3G would just be assigned new ones.

I Fogot to mention the reason I can't restore. Because Apple stopped signing 3.1/.2
    Last edited by Ohs0flyMar; 2010-03-19 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Do you really need to activate with the AT&T sim? Can you not just put it in the phone and have it work?

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Do you really need to activate with the AT&T sim? Can you not just put it in the phone and have it work?
    If you don't want to use ultrasn0w, you need to reactivate. Hacktivated iPhones require ultrasn0w for any sim, including valid AT&T ones.

I do not know the answer to this question, and would like to. I know that deleting /var/root/Library/Lockdown does not cause your phone to reactivate; as some have suggested...

Sorry, this topic's a little old but I just figured out how to do this and it worked for me on my iPhone 4 on iOS 4.1.

I wanted to deactivate and reactivate because I got my phone officially unlocked via my carrier but they said my phone would need to be restored in iTunes for it to take effect. I didn't want to have to re-sync 30GB of data so I just took an educated guess at how to reactivate it without a restore.

I'm using PhoneView to access the filesystem but you could use anything else that gives you access to it (probably even iFile). This was all done with iTunes running and my iPhone plugged in the whole time.

I've tested this twice and it worked fine, but try it at your own risk and make sure you've got SHSH's backed up though Cydia or TinyUmbrella in case anything goes wrong and you have to restore.

The instructions:

1. Backup the /var/root/Library/Lockdown folder somewhere. You must do this because you'll need to put one of its sub-folders back later.

2. Delete the /var/root/Library/Lockdown folder from your phone.

3. Reboot your phone. Mine briefly came up with the Connect to iTunes screen when I turned it back on but that went away quickly. You will lose cellular service at this point (presumably because the iPhone was deactivated). My iPhone's name in iTunes was reset to just "iPhone" instead of "Lenny's iPhone" but I haven't noticed any other effects.

4. The Lockdown folder should have been automatically recreated but the activation_records folder is missing. So, copy activation_records from your backup of your Lockdown folder to the Lockdown folder on your device.

6. Reboot.

7. Your iPhone will tell you that it's been activated (and in my case, because I've had my iPhone officially unlocked by my carrier, iTunes said "Congratulations, your iPhone as been unlocked"

I think you either misunderstood what the carrier told you or they misinformed you. When a phone is officially unlocked you do not need to do a restore. All you need to do is plug it into Itunes and itunes will take care of the unlock.

The person I spoke to definitely said I need to plug it in and click restore - she even told me that it would take about 10 minutes to do it so I'm sure that's what she meant. I wouldn't be too surprised if that's what the carrier's procedures say to tell everyone.

Anyway, whether it was necessary or not I got to have some fun hacking around.