Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3gs 3.1.3 trouble, need activation, jailbreak and unlock.

Default iphone 3gs 3.1.3 trouble, need activation, jailbreak and unlock.
    hey guys, so ive jailbroken mine and a few of my others friends iphone 3g's and 3gs's on the 3.1.2 firmware with blackra1n. anyways,
    one of my friends called me today and told me he accidentally installed the new firmware 3.1.3 on his 3gs with old bootrom, and his phone needed to be re jail broken. so he came by and i was trying to figure it out, i realize you need to have your phone currently jail broken and still in 3.1.2 in order to update and jailbreak 3.1.3 using snowbreeze. and seeing as how he updated firmware to 3.1.3 already, his was not jail broken anymore since he already installed 3.1.3. is this correct so far?

so i figured i need to downgrade the firmware back to 3.1.2 re-jailbreak it with blackra1n, then update firmware thru the snowbreeze jailbreak as it is explained in all the videos on youtube, am i still correct?

i then tried to restore it to 3.1.2 correctly, i downloaded the firmwares (3.1.2, and 3.1.3) seperately like your supposed to. and hold shift and click restore in itunes, and it wouldnt work. the phone froze up, and wouldnt do anything at all, just a black screen.

i decided in order to get it to function i was going to have to do a full factory restore, so i did. i did not know a full restore would mean id have to reactivate the phone thru itunes, so that is where im stuck at, because his phone was unlocked for t-mobile so that is the only sim card he has to activate the phone, and i tunes doesnt accept it as a legit sim card. so i know i ****** up, and im confused on what to do.

i remember on the other iphones i did, with 3.1.2, all i had to do was launch blackra1n with the iphone plugged in and itunes open, and it would do its thing.

what do i need to do to get his phone activated and jailbroken and unlocked so he can use it again?

please help guys, i feel hella bad i messed up his phone.
    thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RyanE916 For This Useful Post:

asiffarooq13 (2010-03-20)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You can only downgrade if your shsh files are on file for 3.1.2. You might be able to jailbreak 3.1.3 with pwnage tool or sn0wbreeze and restore to a custom ipsw, but your chances of ever unlocking the phone are zero for a while now, because when your friend officially updated the phone, he got the new un-unlockable baseband.

I have iphone3gs3.1.2 it has been unlocked and I have cydia installed and rock and winter board when it was done person told me not to switch it off or let battery drain as I would loose everything on phone is phone jail broken or what do you call the state phone is in ,is there a way to fix phone to keep cydia etc so I can switch it off without loosing data

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docevil13 View Post
    I have iphone3gs3.1.2 it has been unlocked and I have cydia installed and rock and winter board when it was done person told me not to switch it off or let battery drain as I would loose everything on phone is phone jail broken or what do you call the state phone is in ,is there a way to fix phone to keep cydia etc so I can switch it off without loosing data
    It depends on what bootrom your phone has, if it has the newer one, then what your friend told you is correct... almost. If your power dies, it shuts off, or it reboots, chances are you can re-run blackra1n and kick it back to life, but the best policy is just not to let it die or cut the power.

okay guys, so i got an AT&T sim card and activated the phone thru itunes. and i tried to use snowbreeze again to jailbreak the phone which is already on 3.1.3 firmware, is that a lost cause? because in most of the videos ive watched, it says your phone must still be in 3.1.2 and currently jailbroken. which it is not, can you even jailbreak a phone that is currently on 3.1.3 firmware?
    is there another jailbreak program i could use besides snowbreeze? blackra1n doesn't work, someone said pwnage tool, but i cant find a video for jailbreak on 3.1.3 iphone 3gs
    more help guys, thanks

Thanks

What bootrom do you have?

im pretty sure its the old bootrom, how do i check this?

Thanks

Actually I aimed that at the other poster. There are different threads that explain the process, but it essentially boils down to putting the phone in DFU mode and using a program called either libusb or usblib (I think) to check the version.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just google 3.1.2 custom firmware. Download and restore. Even if you're on baseband 5.12.01, it will still downgrade and already be jailbroken (cydia installed). Ive done this many times for friends and myself. Once its restored, you can check in settings to see what baseband you are on. 5.12.01 - No unlock available. 5.11.07 - blackra1n is the only unlock available. 4.26.08 - Ultrasn0w will do the trick.
    Last edited by mavrik101; 2010-03-23 at 09:51 AM.