Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Virgin 3.1 3GS

Default Virgin 3.1 3GS
    If I've got a 3GS that is on 3.1, never been unlocked or jailbroken...what's the best way to unlock it? My first thought was to update it to 3.1.3 using Pwnage Tool to protect the baseband and then use blacksn0w to unlock but then I read some people saying that didn't work? blackra1n says it wants a 3.1.2 fresh install, that version isn't being signed anymore on the 3GS. What is the best way to unlock this phone?

Oh and another thing, it may have the new iboot...if it does, no matter what method I use to jb/unlock I can just plug it in and run blackra1n each time I have to reboot or the batter dies right?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Well, first find out you're iboot. If you've got the old, you should be able to make a custom 3.1.3 update with pwnagetool and safety update, if not, you can jailbreak 3.1 with redsn0w and unlock with ultrasn0w. If you bought your iPhone shortly after they started making them, you might have the old bootrom, if not, you're only option would be to use a redsn0w that supports 3.1 and hold out for a 3.1.3 jb.

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Well, first find out you're iboot. If you've got the old, you should be able to make a custom 3.1.3 update with pwnagetool and safety update, if not, you can jailbreak 3.1 with redsn0w and unlock with ultrasn0w. If you bought your iPhone shortly after they started making them, you might have the old bootrom, if not, you're only option would be to use a redsn0w that supports 3.1 and hold out for a 3.1.3 jb.
    Thanks for the reply. If I do have the old iboot I can use blacksn0w?

If I have the new iboot I can't restore with a custom 3.1.3 from pwnage tool? I thought the only restriction with the new iboot was the fact that if you restart the phone you have to re-jailbreak. No? And ultrasn0w works for the 5.11.07 baseband that this iphone has since it's on 3.1??

Thanks

Let me try to lay this out as best I can, this answer is to the best of my understanding, so if any of the info is incorrect, someone please call me out on it.
    Let's divide this up into 2 sections, old iBoot, and new iBoot:

Old:
    -This is the one you want. It typically came on older phones toward the beginning of the manufacture cycle, if you got a brand new phone semi recently, chances are you have it. There are ways of checking for sure (putting it in DFU mode and then checking in the OSX system profiler/usblib (I think that's the name?) on windows.
    -The old bootrom has an exploit in it that allows for non-tethered jailbreaking (you can turn the phone off and on and it'll still be jailbroken)
    -This CAN be jailbroken with redsn0w, not sure what version you'd want to use though. You'd simply have to find the 3.1 IPSW and then run the jailbreak.
    -Blacksn0w can jailbreak this bootrom also, but it only currently being released @ OS 3.1.2, and seeing as you can not upgrade to that, you're out of luck there all together. (you can only update to 3.1.3)
    -Alternatively, you can use Pwnage tool to create a 3.1.3 IPSW to restore with to maintain the baseband and jailbreak with, but this again will only work on the old bootrom.
    New Bootrom:
    -This one sucks, it most likely has exploits, but none have been made public.
    -Blackra1n can do a tethered jailbreak of this, but it is only possible on 3.1.2 with the current release.
    -An older release might be able to do 3.1, I'm not sure, somebody else will have to tell you that.
    -Redsn0w is impossible to use with the new bootrom

So in a nutshell, if you have the old iBoot, redsn0w is by far your best bet for a jb/unlock 3.1, or Pwnage tool if you want to create a custom IPSW for 3.1.3 in OSX. If you have a new iBoot, you might be SOL unless there is an older blackra1n that supports 3.1. (which there very well might be) As far as unlocks go, blacksn0w and ultrasn0w are the two unlocks for the 5.11 baseband, 5.12 can not be unlocked by anything at the moment. Your phone most likely has that, to check, go to settings, general, about, and scroll down.
    Sorry if this was kind of hard to understand, hopefully somebody else will take a whack at this. And most last post may have had a bit of incorrect info reading it again, so if your going to listen to anything I say involving this, go by this post~
    whooooo that was a lot of typing
    Last edited by neodude237; 2010-03-17 at 05:31 AM.

I've done a lot of research on this. I found out I have the old iboot so that's a good thing. Baseband 5.11.07 can ONLY be unlocked with blacksn0w, not ultrasn0w and blacksn0w doesn't work with 3.1.3 without a lot of modding...like this.

As far as jailbreaking, there is no version of redsn0w that works with 3.1. I'd have to make a custom 3.1.3 with PwnageTool but there's really no point in doing it right now since there isn't a proven way to unlock 3.1.3, even with 5.11.07.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

BBallLAL,

Damn its nice to see someone actually do some research, really!

You are correct that blacksn0w is the only unlock available for 5.11.07 right now.

As for Jailbreaking, you could always downgrade to 3.1.2. Then you could unlock too. You can create or just download custom firmware that is already jailbroken and restore.

I can go to 3.1.2 from 3.1 with a 3GS? I don't have any SHSH files saved in Cydia since it's never been JB'd before.

Thanks

Old iBoot you say? Get pwnage tool going and create a custom IPSW of 3.1.3 and then unlock it with the modded blackra1n.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You can go to either 3.1.2 or 3.1.3. If you use custom firmware, it will not upgrade your baseband, and it will not go thru apple's servers, so there will be no verification check. Also, the custom firmware can be jailbroken when its created or downloaded, so no need for blackra1n. Once its installed, youre already jailbroken!

If you read some more on this site, there is now an update to blackra1n that will work on 3.1.3. Supposed to be available today. Front page news.
    Last edited by mavrik101; 2010-03-23 at 03:41 AM. Reason: update