Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help! I upgraded from jb 2g to 3gs. Did I lose all my jb 2g data?

Unhappy Help! I upgraded from jb 2g to 3gs. Did I lose all my jb 2g data?
    So I bought a new 3Gs -- it is 3.1.3, and I'm not really that worried about it because I own 99% of my apps. So for now, I'm fine.

BUT, I wanted to give my old 2g to my kid to play with and listen to music. The woman at the AT&T store said it would function as an iPod touch (and I know it will), but for some reason I thought it would just work straight away. I didn't pull any of the data off, etc. Many of his games weren't legit, and he has progress, etc. that would be lost.

I swapped the dummy sim she gave me into it.

So when I boot it, it has the "plug into itunes" screen. I'm worried that when I go through steps to activate it, it will delete all my old data. Is this what will happen? Is there any way to just start the thing up or activate or something and have it like it was before I pulled the old sim out (only without phone service)? What do I do?

Thank you all; you've always been a real help.

Thanks

just run blackra1n on it and choose activate, should be good...but i think thats the sim since its new is asking for it...if u purchased a 3GS they should have giving you a new sim...then u could have used the old sim and giving it to you little brother and he wouldve been straight

3. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

dirtypants (2010-03-16)

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    just run blackra1n on it and choose activate, should be good...
    Well, I ran Blackra1n on it per your suggestion, and it is the same old thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    but i think thats the sim since its new is asking for it...if u purchased a 3GS they should have giving you a new sim...then u could have used the old sim and giving it to you little brother and he wouldve been straight
    Well, they told me that I should take the old sim and put it in the new phone.... Can I switch them now?

Thanks

Well done on teaching your child how to steal from an early age. You must be proud.

Just activate it in Itunes or use blackra1n. If losing your high score on Ramp Champ is the sort of thing that worries you then you should perhaps re-evaluate what you're doing with your life
    To live, you have to lie

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    To live, you have to lie.
    Thanks for the moral lecture in your post. I found it ironic given this cute sig.
    Well done on teaching your child how to steal from an early age. You must be proud.
    Hmmm. Did you read the part about how I buy my apps? About how I don't steal? Maybe we have a language barrier given that you are from "Scotchland."
    The point is that he has games on the phone that are not legit iTunes apps. He has NES roms and that kind of stuff, and stuff I programmed and modified from other apps for him (like changing the sound in kid-friendly games to be silly). If he wants a $.99 zoo animal game, I buy it. I make that in the time it takes to type this sentence. But if I had to go back and restore the thing, I would have been in the position of him losing some of the things he enjoys about the phone, like the skins and stuff. You clearly don't have kids.
    Just activate it in Itunes or use blackra1n. If losing your high score on Ramp Champ is the sort of thing that worries you then you should perhaps re-evaluate what you're doing with your life
    You're a gem.
    It turns out that I just had to take out the SIM. Then I don't have to activate. The Apple people were cool about it all and more helpful than you. And found no problem with what I was trying to do because it was *legit.* Now all I miss with my new *non-jailbroken 3GS* is SBSettings and Qik and being able to ssh into the phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Try putting your old sim in, connect to itunes, and it should see it as an activated phone. Disconnect from computer, then pull your sim out and put the old sim in.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mavrik101 For This Useful Post:

dirtypants (2010-03-17)