Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: my first post - 3gs unlock help..

Default my first post - 3gs unlock help..
    Dear Friends
    i just got my first iphone and i am all excited in using it!
    but sadly my network (sim) is not supported on the phone!
    after two consecutive days of googling i have a faint knowledge as to what / what not is needed in order Jailbreak / unlock my phone..

before i go any further:
    my operating system is windows xp
    my itunes version is 9.0.3.15
    my iphone model is iphone 3GS 16GB
    my firmware is 3.1 (7C144) (out of the box)
    my modem firmware is 05.11.07
    my build week number is 39 (according to the serial number)

I believe the above information would be helpful for the experts.

i would like to know answers for the following question based on the information provided above:

1: can i jailbreak / unlock my iphone, if so the approach and the respective app that you suggest i should use..

I am not very techy in this area, but i believe i can JB my 3gs with your support, your help is very much appreciated. please please help me on this!
    TIA!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Heyy looks like you've got a good one! What you just gave means you're fully jailbreakable and unlockable with no tethered jailbreak, yay!

Lol I'm excited for you. To jailbreak, you'll need to use Blackra1n and to unlock you'll need Blacksn0w (which will come with the jailbreak).

You can do a quick google search on a Blackra1n guide and you will get lots of great tutorials with screenshots to help you. Good luck!

If you would like to update to 3.1.2, you will need to download a 3.1.2 ipsw and do shift+restore in iTunes to upgrade to 3.1.2 in which the jailbreak and unlock process I described above would be the same. Whatever you do, DO NOT HIT THE UPGRADE BUTTON IN ITUNES or you'll upgrade to 3.1.3 and up you baseband so that it renders un-unlockable.

If you'd like to stay on 3.1, that's alright too just be careful with iTunes. Don't let it accidentally upgrade!

Hey Anniex423
    First off, Thankyou for your feedback Using redsn0w i managed to Jailbreak the iphone (yipee) now i have cydia installed in my phone but i am unable to get the ultrasn0w installed on my phone, since my sim is locked! (no 3G / internet).

I googled the entire day and i was unable to find out how i can download the ultrasnow without the unlock, is there any way i can transfer the ultrasn0w via usb? please help! i believe i am almost there and i just need that last push to get this unlocked!

please help
    TIA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Are you able to find a free wifi spots near you; or do you have wifi?
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-03-14 at 02:31 PM.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

no mate,
    i during search i came across sharing the internet using a laptop, i tried setting up that too, i get the signals but when i try to surf, it does not work! i also tried searching for a proper approach to set up the wifi hotspot thing but i get failing results!
    any suggestions?

Green Apple
    Thanks

try putting in the blackrain source in cydia then download blacksnow on cydia and your sim should be working

dont use ultrasn0w you need blacksn0w here go to cydia and under sources
    Touch on “Edit” and then on “Add”. You will be prompted to enter a url source as seen in the screenshot below. Type “http://blackra1n.com” and touch on “Add Source”
    Last edited by waheedtarin; 2010-03-14 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

thanks for the reply.
    @waheedtarin, (its like: which came first - chicken or the egg "situation) the source of my problem is i cannot access / download apps since my sim does not support my network (not unlocked - the main reason i am trying to unlock), i tried to share my laptop internet (as ad hoc internet sharing service) i get the signal but no bandwidth transfers (upload / download) - while looking for solutions i came across this Unlock iPhone 3G OS 3.0 Without WiFi Cydia | UltraSn0w "unlock iphone without wi-fi or cydia but for my luck i do not have it for my version which is "3gs 3.1 firmware - with the 05.11.07 baseband.

could someone help me on this issue, i somehow managed to install cydia, but due to the lack of internet access via my iphone i am unable to download the ultrasn0w from the repository, any help from you (the experts in this area) are very much appreciated!

as much as i was excited in using my first iphone, i am starting to get fed up of it! :'-(.

please help!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I don't think you did it right. Are you trying to jailbreak because you can access your apps if you're jailbroken. You mustve not jailbroken correctly. You need to run Blackra1n on your phone and if you need an unlock (use it on an unoffical carrier) you can get it with Blacksn0w thru Blackra1n which is the jailbreak tool. You will be able to access your apps (your springboard) if you correctly jailbroke the phone.

You will also be unlocked if you successfuly used Blackra1n correctly because Blacksn0w comes with Blackra1n. You cannot use any other unlock because of the baseband you're on so ditch the ultrasn0w guide. That's of no use to you. You need a blacksn0w guide.

Oh btw, you said you couldn't access Internet to download the unlock. You need WIFI to get the unlock which is Blacksn0w. You can also get it from Cydia. Go to manage>sources>add and enter "blackra1n.com" and install it. Afterwards, select it and download Blacksn0w. Once you get wifi access of course.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-03-15 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

That is his problem. He does not have internet access via sim and has no access to wifi. I am sorry but the best thing to do is find a library or something that has free wifi and use it for a min.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

has anyone tried to setup an ad-hoc connection with a laptop and accessed wifi/internet through iphone/ipod? I tried almost 20+ instructions but non helpful.. I managed to activate wifi on my iphone but thats it. i am unable to use the internet / safari etc..
    has anyone tried this?
    tia