Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help a girl out? 2G 3.1 JailBroken need to unlock with a Non Responsive HOME button

Default Help a girl out? 2G 3.1 JailBroken need to unlock with a Non Responsive HOME button
    Hey guys and girls...

I've read and read on here but came up with nothing.

iPhone 2G 3.1
    Windows

My phone is Jailbroken I just need to unlock it. Here's the catch, my HOME BUTTON is non responsive (broken) so there is no way to put it in DFU mode. That means...no redsnow unlock. Now, since I have Cydia I *could* use BootNeuter but when "Determining current settings..." I get the following message:

"RESTORE NEEDED: iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Restore from iTunes. www.apple.com/support"

My question is.....
    Is there another way to Unlock without having to put the phone in DFU mode? OR...is there a solution to the above mentioned BootNeuter error message?

My ultimate goal is to use the phone with T-Mobile (I currently have a Sidekick....heh)

Thanks in advance. I'm going nuts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

There's a way to use terminal thru SSH to put into DFU mode but someone else would have to chime in here. Without a working home button the phone is pretty much worthless though so I'd say go get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    There's a way to use terminal thru SSH to put into DFU mode but someone else would have to chime in here. Without a working home button the phone is pretty much worthless though so I'd say go get it fixed.

I thought all hope was lost in Jailbreaking/Unlocking without the HOME button but I thought what the hell and tried the Jailbreak. It worked. Then I realized I could just use the iHome app (or something similar) in place of the actual HOME button on the device once I get it unlocked

My take: that's going to be a hellish time for each thing you try to do. Tear the phone down and check out the physical button to make sure it's working properly. some times it just doesn't function because something has physically broken and you can fix it with silicone or hot glue or something. I think you are going to have a really hard time with the phone otherwise. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumble1 View Post
    My take: that's going to be a hellish time for each thing you try to do. Tear the phone down and check out the physical button to make sure it's working properly. some times it just doesn't function because something has physically broken and you can fix it with silicone or hot glue or something. I think you are going to have a really hard time with the phone otherwise. Good luck.
    If it were a computer I'd be allll about tearing it to pieces and putting it back together again. Alas, this is a delicate piece of machinery that someone smarter than myself will have to take apart and fiddle with. I found a local place that'll do it for fifty bucks. I guess I should suck it up and pay the fifty bucks considering I got the phone for free anyway. (my bff upgraded to 3G and just GAVE me her iPhone...score!) Just thought I could save myself some cheddar.

I have a custom firmware for 2G iphones that I modified through these steps. If you are interested, let me know and I will send it to you so you can try it out.

Jon

DFU without power button

I just found this I think its what you were talking about. Gonna try it out here I'll see if I can get i to work.

md2719 10-August-2009, 04:22 PM
    I've found a solution on how to access dfu without the power button. I made this post to help people in my same situation.. Use an ipsw where you've copied applelogo*img3 over LLB*img3. You'll get bootrom dfu! (thanks MuscleNerd). Afterwards jailbrake with pwnagetool.

md2719 11-August-2009, 11:26 AM
    Ok sorry.. You need to get a fresh ipsw, browse inside and overwrite the LLB files with the applelogo files. To browse the firmware i renamed it in *.zip and used stuffit archive manager, cause if you extract it and recompress itunes won't accept it. The 2 files you have to overwrite are placed in 2 folders, under Firmware/all_Flash/all_flash.m68ap.production and Firmware/all_Flash/all_flash.n82ap.production. Copy out the applelogo..img3 file rename it and overwrite the LLb file. Then rename back the firmware image to ipsw and restore in itunes selecting the new created firm. After restore is complete you'll get DFU.
    From now on you can follow the normal Pwnage guides. When the DFU helper starts it will ask you to turn off the phone, disconnect the cable. Then the timers will start.. When it says to press home button for ten seconds wait about 6-7 secs and reconnect the iphone. Pwnagetool will find your iphone in DFU and tell you to restore in itunes with the custom firm.
    ..This worked for me.. The instructions I first posted were very synthetic, but actually that is what MuscleNerd wrote me on twitter. Anyway if you are in my same situation, with a broken on/off button, be careful. You shuold get it wright at the first chanche since you are not able (like me!) to put the iphone in DFU and eventually restore! This guide is intended only for people who want to JB with a broken on/off button.. I'll be happy to help anyone who needs advice, just write back.

My phone is already Jailbroken....just need an unlock.