Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Searching and searchng......Help

Default Searching and searchng......Help
    Hi, i was recently given an iphone 2g and it had the 3.1.2 firmware on it when recieving it. I downloaded the 3.1.2 custom (jailbroken/unlocked) Firmware and installed that to use with my t-mobile prepaid sim card.

First off the phone would chime and show i had a voicemail but would have no service at all. I was told to download ultrasn0w and that would resolve my issue. After installing that my phone says"SEARCHING" and thats all it does. I am useing a prepaid sidekick sim card just for the texting (its about all i do)and phone service. Can anyone help me resolve my issue?

--
    Last edited by macabre; 2009-10-15 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

^^^^ That's a little harsh. Calm down. Anyways... I think you may be confused as to the type of phone you have. An iPhone 2G is a first generation iPhone and should be aluminum. This phone is unlockable no matter what. If you have an iPhone 3G or 3GS it will be plastic and either black or white. If one of these phones has been updated to 3.1.2 then you're stuck.

Default try a few things
    So the first question is: Why do you need 3.1? If you don't, just get 3.0 and install it with Redsn0w or iTunes and then unlock/jailbreak with Redsn0w. Have you tried that? I haven't read about people having success with 3.1 even on the original iPhone. I'd start there, to make sure it works. Just my thoughts though.

I do have an iPhone 2G am an running at 3.0 OS right now (unlocked). I've had WiFi issues every since I've upgraded to 3.0. I'm hoping updating to 3.1 will fix whatever 3.0 broke, but I wanted to make sure that 2Gs were in fact ALWAYS unlockable. I had read that previously, but no one has mention how they are unlockable once updated to 3.1. It sounds like ultrasn0w is what works, but if my WiFi isn't working, I can't download any Cydia apps.

Anyone have an help they can offer?

Have you gone through the process more than once? I'd make sure you try 3.0 a few times first because it isn't necessarily 100% successful each time. Make sure you have a known good firmware to start with.

yes its the 2g, its got the aluminum backing with the lower part being black. I tried to downgrade firmware but could do it. kept getting errors. So i downloaded a custom 3.1.2 since my phone was already 3.1.2 and it seemed to jailbreak and unlock just not getting anything on the phone end of the deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

When you build the custom firmware did you check the "unlock" box? If so it should run bootneuter automatically right after it restores. If not then download it from Cydia and run it manually.

i actually downloaded a firmware that was already setup off the internet. I was gonna try doing my own but its all so confusing to me..

i downloaded redsn0w and i downloaded the ipsw file but it for mac it look like. I can find a non custom restore of the original 3.1.2 firmware

no sure if this helps but the modem firmware is 04.05.04_G if that makes sense? If possible can someone maybe help me downgrade to 3.0 and get it going on that Firmware. I hear its much easier. I been goin at this for 3 days and i am totally stumpped????????????????????

ok i did what poseidon stated and ran bootneuter and it worked like a charm.. Is anyone elses phone real quiet tho?
    Last edited by 240noob; 2009-10-16 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default 3.0
    MUCH easier for 3.0

find the 3.0 firmware straight from Apple, download it and then make a copy that you save somewhere else. iTunes loves cleaning out old files, so make sure you have a good copy of the 3.0 FW. It's going to be called: iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw. I can't tell you where to find it because that's too much work on my part.

to be sure it's going to work, use iTunes to restore to this firmware by holding shift (option on Mac) and clicking on Restore in the iPhone page of iTunes. find and select the firmware you downloaded. let it do it's thing

next, get Redsn0w (0.8) and run it. Make sure you follow the directions exactly and also that you select Install Cydia and Unlock. I'd advise against installing Icy along with cydia, which used to have conflicts (I don't know if they still do).

Complete redsn0w and the phone should be jailbroken and unlocked.