Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock from Custom 3.1 IPSW?

Default Unlock from Custom 3.1 IPSW?
    Exact specs straight from fuzzyband:

iPhone 3g 8gb
    OS 3.1
    Bootloader 06.02
    Modem Firmware ICE2-04.26.08

Is it unlockable using ultrasn0w?

Ive searched around but can find anything with my specifics. I upgraded to a jailbroken 3.1 using a custom IPSW so thats why I have these software specs. Ive read that ultrsn0w can run independent of the bootloader, but I need to make sure.

Thanks!

Why don't you just try installing Ultrasn0w and see if it works?

(hint: it will)

Thanks

As long as you have modem firmware (baseband) 4.26.08 or lower unlock will work.
    Install ultrasn0w and enjoy
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

OK. Before I try the unlock is there any way to uninstall or undo the unlock JUST IN CASE it doesnt work? I believe everyone, but being a network engineer for a living, I KNOW I should always have a backup plan.

Thanks

Go into Cydia and manage>Packages>Ultrasn0w and uninstall
    But Ultrasn0w automatically disables itself if it doesn't work on your phone so you're safe.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

OK.

I installed Ultrasn0w and it works fine.

Since Im on ATT is there a way to see if its officially unlocked without inserting a different SIM?

You can just uninstall ultrasn0w if it doesn't work.

It's a soft unlock, so nothing is permanently modified. It injects some awesomeness at boot time, but it lives in the memory. (my understanding)

Thanks

Not AFAIK. You need a t-mobile sim.

Quote Originally Posted by drummingfool View Post
    OK.

I installed Ultrasn0w and it works fine.

Since Im on ATT is there a way to see if its officially unlocked without inserting a different SIM?
    Hmm...perhaps if you go into network settings, if you see options to configure the address for internet connections...that might only happen on unlocked phones.

Or maybe that only happens when you put in a non-att sim.

My phone is 3.1, so I can't unlock currently
    But my old one had those options and was unlocked.

Well I tried it out and it works with a tmobile sim.

But now a bigger question...

This jailbreak was done using a custom ipsw that was bestowed upon me. Since I ended up with firmware 04.26.08 Im curious which of these scenarios is more likely:

A: The custom IPSW had firmware 04.26.08 hard coded in so that was the firmware it put on

B: The custom IPSW simply does not change the firmware and my phone had 04.26.08 on it before the jailbreak so it was left that way.

I guess what Im ultimately wondering is if I can use this IPSW to jailbreak phones that have 05.11.07 and it will bring them back to 04.26.08 OR if I used it to jailbreak a 05.11.07 would it stay at that firmware?

Thoughts?

Well, there's no such thing as firmware 04.26.08, that's a baseband version. I know it's knit-picky perhaps, but vocabulary is important!

As for your questions, the custom firmware updates are designed in such a way that they do not update your baseband.

Moreover, once a baseband has been updated, there is realistically a 0% chance of ever downgrading that baseband to an earlier version.

Some phones (the iPhone 3G with a 5.08 bootloader - only the first models made had this) are vulnerable to a baseband downgrade hack, but the vast, vast majority of them are unable to be downgraded once upgraded.

So, no, you cannot use this custom IPSW to downgrade phones that are currently using baseband 05.11.07 to 04.26.08.

I was thinking "modem firmware". I'll watch the wording next time.

Thanks for the info.

Oh, apparently "firmware" is also used to just apply to the modem firmware, as well as the phone firmware.

Well that's confusing!