Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What network am I locked to? Help?

Default What network am I locked to? Help?
    Hi,

I picked up a used 3G 16GB iphone off of craigslist. I decided to upgrade it to 3.1 because I figured I didn't need to unlock it. So now I put my SIM into it (ROGERS) and i just get the NO SERVICE message. and I can't unlock it with untrasn0w because I've upgraded it.

Is there a way for me to tell if its actually an AT&T phone and that I require an unlock? I figured I wouldn't need it since I bought it local. But maybe it is locked?

How can I check what network it belongs to?

Anyway to unlock it now that I've upgraded it?

Thanks!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Unfortunately that's a bad assumption to make. It is a locked phone because any factory unlocked iPhone should be able to run any SIM card just fine. You can sell the phone and get another or use it as a fancy paper weight. Upgrading without preserving your baseband will lock your phone and you cannot run ultrasn0w unlock on it. Your baseband needs to be below 5.11.07. Since it is a 3G you can try to downgrade the baseband. I assume you don't know what bootloader your phone is running. Bootloader 5.08 3G phones can downgrade baseband to work on ultrasn0w. Download from Cydia Fuzzyband Downgrader. Run the program and it will tell you if you have bootloader 5.08 or 5.09. If you're lucky and got 5.08 it will downgrade your baseband and you can unlock. If you get stuck with 5.09 you're done for so just sell it and get another.

Thanks

What's your model number?
    And no there is no way to unlock it anymore.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

That fuzzy program wont downgrade it.

Guess I messed up. I'll try and wait for the Dev team to bail me out.

My model number is MB631C

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It will be a long time before the dev team decides to release another unlock. I would honestly just sell the phone and get another. I'm not saying it won't ever happen but from past experience it doesn't look likely. I locked my friends phone the same way on 2.2.1 and waited months before ultrasn0w was released for 3.0. It's up to you... But that's just my opinion.

*I mean it doesn't look likely that they will release another soon not never ever
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2009-10-12 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default well . . .
    Well I'm not sure it is locked to a different carrier anymore.

Under Settings > General > About > Carrier it says Rogers 5.0.

The guy that sold me the phone left his sim card in it, and I dug it out of my parts bin and found that its a Rogers sim.

I've popped my Sim into the phone and it still says No Service. I tried the old sim, and same thing.

Any ideas?