Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Used 3gs help, please

Default Used 3gs help, please
    I picked up a used 3gs the other day. Im pretty sure that its was previously jailbroken and unlocked, but The kid that sold it to me now wont answer my calls, so Im not sure what method he used.

So I got the phone, I think the reason he was selling it was he updated to 3.1 and I dont think it has any reception. I picked up a cheap att go sim, threw it in and get no service. The baseband has also been updated to the newer one.

So is there a way to find out what method he used?

or am I SOL until a jailbreak and (hopefully unlock) comes out?

I downloaded a custom firmware, but it says to only use it on 3.0 or 3.0.1, at this point will it hurt to try and install in on the phone?

Id hate to have this expensive paper weight sitting on my desk for too long.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nktrnl View Post
    I picked up a used 3gs the other day. Im pretty sure that its was previously jailbroken and unlocked, but The kid that sold it to me now wont answer my calls, so Im not sure what method he used.

So I got the phone, I think the reason he was selling it was he updated to 3.1 and I dont think it has any reception. I picked up a cheap att go sim, threw it in and get no service. The baseband has also been updated to the newer one.

or am I SOL until a jailbreak and (hopefully unlock) comes out?
    Yes, but only for the moment. GeoHot has posted that he has successfully jailbroken firmware 3.1 and BB 5.11.07. Everyone is waiting for GeoHot to release his jailbreak solution called “blackra1n”. I would keep a close watch on MMI news page later today.

A word of warning, Apple has just release firmware 3.1.2, so do not update to this firmware. Geohot say the same exploit for “blackra1n” exists for firmware 3.1.2, which is good news. But do not update until either Dev_team or GeoHot says it is safe to do so and that they have the JB tools to support it.

I downloaded a custom firmware, but it says to only use it on 3.0 or 3.0.1, at this point will it hurt to try and install in on the phone?
    You can't restore a custom 3.0 or 3.0.1 firmware once the baseband (modem FW) has been updated to 5.11.07. Wait for the "Blackra1n" JB software to be released for 3.1.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2009-10-09 at 08:35 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

3. The Following User Says Thank You to reddawg For This Useful Post:

nktrnl (2009-10-09)

Thanks, that what I figured. Ive been checking blackra1n regularly every half hour or so for something.

Thanks

I should clarify one thing. Blackra1n is a jailbreaking solution for 3.1 and BB 05.11.07, not an unlocking solution for unofficial carriers. Hopefully, we will see an unlock solution from either Dev_Team or GeoHot in the next month or two.

I want to trade up my iPhone 3G 8GB for an iPhone 3GS 32 GB, but can't until there is an unlock solution for BB 05.11.07. All the new and replacement iPhone 3G(s) have been updated to either 3.1 or 3.1.2 with BB 05.11.07. So, I'm stuck with my iPhone 3G for now.

I really appreciate all the hard work by Dev_Team and GeoHot and everyone else who has worked together to provide a better iPhone experience for all of us. This cat and mouse games with Apple has definitely gotten very tough and serious.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown