Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Moved from unlocked 2G to pwned 3G and have questions

Default Moved from unlocked 2G to pwned 3G and have questions
    I've bought a pwned 3G, and I have a few questions about it. I have a 2G iPhone which I'd unlocked, and I just want to know what I can and can't do with the 3G compared to the 2G. My girlfriend will be using the phone on Orange, and I want it to look and act exactly as a normal iPhone should, so no funny differences

According to the system preferences, the 3G is running 3.1 (7C144), modem firmware 04.26.08

1: The 3G has the pwned pineapple logo when it boots up, is there a way I can get rid of this and go back to the Apple logo?

2: The 3G has Cydia, Icy, Fuzzyband and Terminal installed. I don't want these, how can I get rid of them and will it cause any issues?

3: The iPhone has the previous owner's music on. If I do an Erase and Sync in iTunes will that screw anything over?

I know I've asked basic questions, but I know 3Gs are a lot more particular about being unlocked than my old 2G, and I really don't want to break anything.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Your phone is jailbroken and unlocked. The baseband has been preserved to keep the unlock running. You should not upgrade without learning how to preserve the baseband or else you will lose the unlock (unlessyou don't need it). Assuming you do need it,

1. Your apple logo can be restored and be rid of the pineapple if you rejailbreak the phone. You need the jailbreak if you want to keep the unlock. The only way to get your apple logo back is to rejailbreak because you are on 3.1.

2. You should not get rid of Cydia because that is what keeps your unlock installed. You can delete Icy and Terminal through Cydia by going to manage>packages. I assume fuzzyband is there because it is used to downgrade baseband so it must be a phone running 5.08 bootloader which is good. In the future if you accidetally upgrade your modem firmware you can downgrade with it. To be sure run fuzzyband and see what bootloader it reports. Then you are safe to delete it through Cydia and have future reference what bootloader you run and whether you can downgrade baseband or not.

3. You can simply click sync in iTunes and it will erase all the music on it and replace the library with yours (if you don't have any it will just wipe it out blank) and no it won't damage anything.

I forgot to mention, you need a mac to jailbreak 3.1. If you can't get a hold of a mac you can downgrade your fw to 3.0.1 and jailbreak with windows OS. If I were you I wouldn't bother rejailbreaking. I'm still on 3.0 and want 3.1 but don't feel like finding a mac. It's good you have a phone all set up and good to go already. The pineapple you won't see it often so I'd just ignore it. But if you're really persistant, you could do a lot of damage and make lots of mistakes if you don't know what you're doing with jailbreaking and unlocking. If you're on AT&T though thats great you don't have to worry about a thing. If not and you need the unlock, be very careful or you could either brick your phone or not be able to use your SIM on it anymore.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2009-10-12 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost