Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking iPhone 3g 3.1 firmware curious question because im sellin my 2g for it.

Exclamation Unlocking iPhone 3g 3.1 firmware curious question
    Iphone 3g 8gb but he said he upgraded to 3.1 recently and hes with at&t right now ive been reading and im curious am i correct

if his phones bootloader is 5.08 i could unlock it for tmobile if his bootloader is higher than 5.08 then bascially im screwed and i cant unlock but i could jailbreak and theres no unlock methods out.

am i correct?

cause im really hoping to get an iphone 3g and just sell my iphone 2g.
    is there an way to tell what bootloader it has by the serial number? what should i be looking at?
    Last edited by vvilliamm; 2009-10-18 at 06:13 AM.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually done anything described below

1) it is my understanding that only a limited number of phones came out with 5.08 bootloader. The phone's serial number won't tell you, however if the third digit is a 9, that means it was made in 2009 so it probably has the 5.09 bootloader

2) the only way to definitely tell which bootloader he has is to jailbreak and install fuzzyband or whatever that app is called. It will tell you if you can downgrade the baseband or not.

3) It is exceedingly likely that if he upgraded to 3.1 normally and is now running the 05.11.xx baseband that you will not be able to unlock the phone anytime "soon", at least with the tools currently available to us.

4) What about the iPhone 3G makes you want to upgrade, or, perhaps more importantly,

5) What about this mans phone makes him want to downgrade to an edge-only phone (when he has access to the speedier 3G network) for $60?

Hope this helps! Cheers mate