Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak questions (new member)

Default Jailbreak questions (new member)
    I have a iPhone 3G, provider is ATT. I would love to be able to use the iPhone to access the internet with my laptop.

I've read tons about Jailbreaking and Cydia etc. Is Jailbreaking harmful to the phone? Will it still function properly? Why is all the illegal jailbreaking, tethering etc even necsessary?

So all that said, any tips etc on how to do all this, easily, is greatly appreciated.

This is my first post on the site, so please be kind

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean 'illegal'?
    JB is neither harmful nor illegal.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

agree.

Thanks, any tips etc? I understand with the 3G 3.1 version I can't JB it anyway, is that true?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

There are some custom firmwares out there to jailbreak 3.1 ((if you Google)) for windows machines or you can wait for a new release that should happen in a few days.

Great thanks for the info. I am very new to iPhone and jailbreaking. All I would like to do is use my iPhone so my laptop can have internet access.

Thanks again.

You don't say what country you are in or who your provider is but I don't believe you need to JB to do that.
    Do a search on this site for tethering and I think you'll find you can just install StealthBravo's ipcc to enable it on your phone.
    I would recommend JB anyway but you don't have to.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Confucious: Iam in the USA and ATT is my provider. Thank you for the info.

Thanks

What firmware version are you on? If pre 3.1 you can just update your carrier settings to get tethering.