Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Use iPhone as iPod Touch without Carrier

Default Use iPhone as iPod Touch without Carrier
    OK, so my iPhone went in the ocean about 6 weeks ago and I canceled my service because I'm leaving the country in 3 months and didn't want another 2 year contract (I thought you had to re-enter a contract if you got a new one.)

I found out about the $200 replacement iPhones from the apple store and went and traded mine out for a new one. It's a 2G, 4GB version.

I have since gotten service on another carrier (CDMA, so I can't use the iPhone on their network.)

What I'd like to do is use my iPhone as a touch until I get back from my foreign exchange and can actually either enter a contract or find a decent GSM network to use it on.

So, my question is, what do I need to do here? Do I just need to jailbreak it or do I need to unlock it also?

Another thing is I can't tell what firmware version it's running right now. It's stuck at the emergency screen and it has a little (i) button that shows me the IMEI and ICCID. That's all I can see. If I slide the unlocker, it shows me a dialpad and nothing else.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't messed with any of this stuff in months and I've got some catching up to do.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    all you need to do is jailbreak it, your computer should tell you what firmware it's on when you plug it in