Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unable to put iPhone 1g 4gb in DFU mode

Default Unable to put iPhone 1g 4gb in DFU mode
    I recently bought a iPhone 1G 4GB that I cannot put it in DFU mode. The phone is in very good condition, so I donít think there is anything wrong with the hardware. I think the previous owner had bought this phone when it first came out. When I bought it, it was activated, but not Jailbroken and not unlocked.
    In order to jailbreak and unlock it, I restored it using iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw using Shift+Restore in itunes. After the restore the phone got deactivated and now iTune tells me to activate it using an AT&T account. I have tried to jailbreak it using redsn0w .08, but the phone does not go in DFU mode. I have tried three diferent ways to put it in the DFU mode:

1. As redsn0w suggests, device is both turned off and plugged in
    2. Hold power down for 3 seconds
    3. Without releasing the power hold the home button for 10 seconds
    4. Without release the home button release the power button

The phone keeps going in the restore mode instead of DFU mode. I have also tried:

1. Hold the power and home button for 10 seconds till the phone goes black
    2. Wait for 2 seconds and right before the apple logo comes up release the power button, but keep holding the home button

Again no luck with phone going in DFU mode.

Finally I have tried using the DFU.exe, but it gives an error saying it cannot pair with the phone.

I have unlocked many phones, but never seen this issue. Any suggestion on how to put the phone in DFU mode would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have any suggestions on how to activate the phone without an AT&T account please let me know.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it detects iPhone in restore/recovery mode.

Alternative method.
    Step 1. While the device is on, hold down the Sleep / Wake and Home buttons for exactly 10 seconds, the device will restart.
    Step 2. Release the Sleep / Wake button, but keep holding down the Home button for another 10 seconds.
    Step 3. Release the Home button.

I have tired both the methods in past, and just to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong I tried it again. The phone goes in the restore mode and not DFU mode.

Quote Originally Posted by rjivani View Post
    I recently bought a iPhone 1G 4GB that I cannot put it in DFU mode. The phone is in very good condition, so I donít think there is anything wrong with the hardware. I think the previous owner had bought this phone when it first came out. When I bought it, it was activated, but not Jailbroken and not unlocked.
    In order to jailbreak and unlock it, I restored it using iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw using Shift+Restore in itunes. After the restore the phone got deactivated and now iTune tells me to activate it using an AT&T account. I have tried to jailbreak it using redsn0w .08, but the phone does not go in DFU mode. I have tried three diferent ways to put it in the DFU mode:

1. As redsn0w suggests, device is both turned off and plugged in
    2. Hold power down for 3 seconds
    3. Without releasing the power hold the home button for 10 seconds
    4. Without release the home button release the power button

The phone keeps going in the restore mode instead of DFU mode. I have also tried:

1. Hold the power and home button for 10 seconds till the phone goes black
    2. Wait for 2 seconds and right before the apple logo comes up release the power button, but keep holding the home button

Again no luck with phone going in DFU mode.

Finally I have tried using the DFU.exe, but it gives an error saying it cannot pair with the phone.

I have unlocked many phones, but never seen this issue. Any suggestion on how to put the phone in DFU mode would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have any suggestions on how to activate the phone without an AT&T account please let me know.
    If that phone seriously can't be put into DFU mode (I think your doing it wrong, but you say you've done alot of iphones, so you must be doing it right)
    I'd make, or download, a custom .ipsw from pwnage, then using recovery mode, just recover to that firmware. you'll be jailbroken and unlocked.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!