Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't get started - First Timer

Default Can't get started - First Timer
    OK - I'm a virgin at this but I should be further along than I am.

A buddy of mine just upgraded from a 2G to a 3G iphone and I guilted him into giving me the 2G so I could try to unlock it and use it on my t-mobile service. He said he upgraded the firmware so it would be the latest and gave it to me. He kept the SIM card as he just transferred it to his new phone.

SO - the phone is at the "Connect to iTunes" screen, but when I do connect it to iTunes - iTunes says it can't recgonize the SIM card. I had installed my t-mobile card from my G1. So what the hell am I supposed to do now?

I'm sure this seems completely trivial to all of you, but any help would be really appreciated. Would the easiest thing for me to do be to take the phone to one of those shady cell phone stores you see in various strip malls and have them set it all up?

Thanks all!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Welcome to MMi,
    Sweet deal guilting him into giving you the phone.
    Is the phone Jailbroken now? What firmware is it on? 2.2.1, 3.0, 3.0.1,or 3.1?
    It would be a lot simpler to guide you knowing this.
    What version of iTunes are you using? Mac or PC?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

BurntOrange (2009-10-03)

Thanks for the help - Guilt is such a powerful weapon. I just hit him with the ol - "You were a groomsman in my wedding - and you are going to sell it for 100 on Craigslist?"

Anyway - he said he had flashed it to 2.2 but I could be mistaken. The whole point of it is that I can't even boot the damn thing to use it as a touch!

Now - he was completley legit with it. AT&T customer - all square. He just jumped from the two to three G. He kept the SIM - which he just moved from chassis to chassis and I assume is the problem with everything I am dealing with. He wiped it clean to get all his apps and data off it and when he gave it to me - it appeared that all I needed to do was synch it with iTunes. But apparently not.

I have access to both Windows XP and Mac and can work from either. If you can help - awesome! If not - I live in Dallas and I'm sure I can find some cell phone shop that would do it for me. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

My advise would be to get iTunes 8.2 or 8.2.1 and then restore to firmware 3.0 or 3.0.1
    Then jailbreak and unlock it so you can use it on your carrier.
    Here is a link with everything you will need, links, pics and step by step instructions. It is a tree type menu, click on what applies to you and either Mac or PC.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

BurntOrange (2009-10-03)