Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stuck on pineapple screen ***even after restoring***

Default Stuck on pineapple screen ***even after restoring***
    I have an unlocked, jailbroken 1G iPhone with the typical stuck-on-pineapple-screen issue, but the problem persists even after restoring the firmware. Here is the breakdown of things I have tried:

• Restore to custom 2.2 firmware created by PwnageTool from DFU mode, both with setting up a new phone and with backing up from a previous back-up
    • Restore to custom 2.2 firmware created by PwnageTool from recovery mode, both with setting up a new phone and with backing up from a previous back-up
    • Restore to Apple's 2.2 firmware from DFU mode, then to PwnageTool's firmware from DFU mode, both with setting up a new phone and with backing up from a previous back-up
    • Restore to Apple's 2.2 firmware from recovery mode, then to PwnageTool's firmware from DFU mode, both with setting up a new phone and with backing up from a previous back-up
    • Turn off/turn on repeatedly
    • Turn off/turn on/connect to computer (★iPhone Hacks & Mods★: iPhone stuck at boot screen pineapple logo)

I can't do anything ssh related because I can't the phone to start up to the point where I can install OpenSSH (which I previously had).

SUMMARY OF OBSERVATIONS:

• Pineapple logo sometimes joined by spinning wheel of death
    • Phone occasionally restarts (only to resume being stuck at boot screen)
    • Phone frequently turns on when I connect it to the computer
    • iTunes always sees the phone and always tries to automatically sync with it (even though I tell every time not to auto-sync)

SUMMARY OF SPECS:

• 1G iPhone, unlocked and jailbroken with PwnageTool, firmware 2.2
    • iTunes v9.0.1
    • Mac OS X 10.4.11

I've spent a few days now researching causes and cures, and I'm still at a loss to unbrick my phone. Any help is MUCH appreciated!

update the phone to 3.0 and use redsn0w to jailbreak & unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by triad View Post
    update the phone to 3.0 and use redsn0w to jailbreak & unlock.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a shot, but I still have the same problem (except it's the Apple logo instead of the pineapple). The jailbreak and unlock seemed to go smoothly, although I had to unplug and re-plug the USB cable in order to get the phone to reboot during the jailbreak.

Any other ideas?

[edit] I started the redsn0w process by both updating to 3.0 from iTunes and by putting the phone into DFU mode and then recovering it using the 3.0 ipsw file. I also tried two different ipsw files, both for first-gen iPhones. [/edit]
    Last edited by B-A-B; 2009-10-03 at 08:00 PM. Reason: additional info

when updating to 3.0 did you put the phone in DFU mode or shift + restore?

when you completed the update from 2.2 to 3.0, was the phone still stuck at boot screen or went to activation screen?

Quote Originally Posted by triad View Post
    when updating to 3.0 did you put the phone in DFU mode or shift + restore?

when you completed the update from 2.2 to 3.0, was the phone still stuck at boot screen or went to activation screen?
    It was still stuck at the boot screen.

When I restored to 3.0 before running redsn0w, iTunes recognized the phone and informed me that my SIM card was invalid and my phone needed activation. After running redsn0w, iTunes treated it like a usable phone, but I was still stuck at the boot screen.