Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: restrict data on iphone 3g?

Default restrict data on iphone 3g?
    ok guys, so i have a 3g running on 3.0.1 jailbroken and unlocked.

first off, if i have ATT (secretly using an iphone) do i need to be unlocked? if im not does it tell ATT that i musing an iphone or am i just being paranoid?

second, i dont have a data plan (AT ALL except for text messaging) so i have been using sbsettings to disable edge and 3g. however, i have noticed extremely poor battery life while doing this (if its just sitting in my backpack, its dead before the end of the school day) . is there any way to make sure my phone doesnt recieve any data except for text messaging while maintaining reasonable battery life? i tried installing the apn editing hack from cydia, to no avail. it gave me an odd error halfway through the installation, and i had to force clear it.

my last question is, now that i have ATT (previously had cincinnati bell) is it safe to upgrade to a 3.1 firmware? if so which one do i use?

any help is appreciated

thanks,
    Matt W.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

1. They'll probably find out you have an iPhone some time, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but they will. This might mean a cut off in your service.
    2. You don't need to be unlocked on AT&T, they'll know either way.
    3. You don't need to turn off edge or 3G. If you don't have a data plan, you won't receive any data because the iPhone doesn't allow it to come through.
    4. You are safe to upgrade to 3.1 if you don't need to jailbreak. Unless you have a Mac, you can jailbreak, but on windows, there is nothing official yet.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

try Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone

browse to it from your phone, follow the prompts.