Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is there a benefit using Ultrasnow over Purple Rain

Default Is there a benefit using Ultrasnow over Purple Rain
    Hey,

i have had my 16gb iPhone 3GS about a month, bought it in the UK as pay as you go (obviously on o2), and jailbroke it and unlocked it using PurpleRain and Purplesnow, as that seemed easier at the time.

I have now been using the iPhone on my Vodafone UK contract and haven been having a couple of issues related to calls using my iPhone.

The main problem i have had is it seems that my iPhone will not make calls over 3G. The reason i say this is i get full 3G at my house, and calls break up within a minute - the caller can hear me completely fine but i cant hear a word i say. Turning off 3G (which only gives me one bar of 2G) solves this problem.

Having unlocked using purplesnow, is there a benefit of using ultrasnow instead for the unlock? is it easy to change from purple snow to ultrasnow now that Apple has disabled restoring to 3.0 in iTunes?

Thanks for any help

Well since your having problems with purplesn0w, the benifits of ultrasn0w could be substantial.

I would recommend using redsn0w + ultrasn0w, because they are built for each other. But right now its difficult to restore back to 3.0 on a 3gs, so i'd hold back on that for the time being.

BUT, you still can uninstall purplesn0w, and install ultrasn0w, while still using purplerain. Check if ultrasn0w works better for you. If not you maybe SOL for a week or so.

Do a little research on here about downgrading the 3gs, you'll see how much a of PITA it is...
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Nice one, thanks for the advice!

At the moment my options seem very limited, so will give ultra snow a go - is this literally going to be case of uninstalling purple rain in cydia and then installing ultrasnow in cydia? Is it that simple?

Quote Originally Posted by neenyrules View Post
    Nice one, thanks for the advice!

At the moment my options seem very limited, so will give ultra snow a go - is this literally going to be case of uninstalling purple rain in cydia and then installing ultrasnow in cydia? Is it that simple?
    yup, be sure you have a wifi signal

uninstall purple, reboot, install ultra, reboot, reset network settings, try it out.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

When you say reset network settings, what do you mean by that?

its a process required when installing ultrasn0w properly.
    Settings>General>Reset> Reset Network settings.

Its to insure anything that was perviously on the phone is removed, and the latest thing (ultrasn0w) will replace all the previous settings.

You will lose all your wifi passwords... so write them down if you don't know them by heart.

Thanks everyone, all sorted and using ultrasnow now instead of purplesnow, very easy change over.

With regards to my above issue, it does seem better but it has done it again once during a few trial calls. Does anyone have the same problem? Can the iPhone make calls over 3g??