Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will Dev-Team lose the battle against Apple with iPhone Unlocking? Related to 3.1

Default Will Dev-Team lose the battle against Apple with iPhone Unlocking? Related to 3.1
    Not that I don't have faith in the Dev-Team in their ability to crack iPhones for jailbreaking and unlocking. Recently with the update of 3.1 and how it updates the baseband, it is now "impossible" to unlock if you updated through iTunes (Unless you're one of the lucky few that can downgrade their baseband with bootloader 5.08). I'm wondering is it really impossible for those that updated through iTunes, and losing the ability to unlock forever, as they make it seem?

"Jailbreaking and unlocking have two different security mechanisms, and if you update your 3GS (or 3G) to 3.1, you will lose your carrier unlock, possibly forever."

Because at this point, more and more people are buying new iPhones, possibly upgrading to this new firmware 3.1, and then potentially selling them for whatever reason to someone else who then wants to unlock but can't because of the updated baseband. Now people wanting to buy iPhones have to be more cautious with purchasing used phones and identifying whether it is updated to 3.1. This will leave fewer and fewer iPhones out in the market that are unlockable, while Apple continues to roll out new iPhones with updated basebands.

On a side note, I don't really know if I have all my facts straight about the basebands and what not with new phones and etc. But I'm just wondering if saying that you'll lose the ability to unlock forever holds true or is it just temporary until someone figures out how to unlock it. Otherwise I'm hoping there is a fix soon since I have a friend with a bricked iPhone as well as many of you out there wanting to have it unlocked again.

Thanks

If someone can find an exploit in a newer baseband, the unlock lives.
    There is the possibility that someone will, and there is that someone won't.
    It is hard, and they only come by every once in a while.

At this point in time, nobody in the world can tell if the iPhone will ever be unlockable again.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm sure it will be done.
    Just like before, going from 1.1.4 to 2.0, we had to wait a bit, and of course the devteam came thru.
    Safest thing to do is wait for the official unlock tool from the devteam, in the meantime just enjoy 3.0.1

Yeah, I'm sure it will be done. I actually own a 2g iPhone, so I really have no worries, but I've been trying to help a friend out and its been frustrating.

But I didn't like they they've said that you can lose the ability to unlock forever or permanently, when they really could have said 'you'll lose it until an exploit is found'

Well they don't want to get anyone's hopes even slightly up if it never happens I think.

Lovely

Not

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

have faith, and there's always the options to find a factory unlocked phone.
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    If someone can find an exploit in a newer baseband, the unlock lives.
    To my knowledge the chronic dev team has done just that. I talked with posixninja for a little bit on irc and that was my understanding. He seems to think he has the exploit that will work....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ For a jailbreak, not an unlock

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    ^ For a jailbreak, not an unlock
    ahh true

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

How's the quest for a custom title coming?