Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help me update, jailbreak & unlock 3G

Question Help me update, jailbreak & unlock 3G
    First of all, I did read a lot of post here on how to do it but I just want to be 100% sure on what I'm about to do or follow is right. I have an iPhone 3G 2.1 firmware version. It is jailbroken using QuickPwn and unlocked using Universal Sim. My carrier is T-Mobile.

I have finally decided to update to 3.0 since I cannot purchase some Apps in iTunes store because it keeps on telling me it is not compatible with the version on my iPhone.

My iTunes in my computer is version 8.0.1. Do I need to update my iTunes first before I restore my phone?

Should I update my phone to 3.0 or 3.0.1? Bear in mind, I need to unlock it afterwards since I'm with T-Mobile.

When updating, jailbreaking and unlocking my phone, should I remove my simcard on my phone?

Will my T-zones still work on 3.0?

Is there a way to back up all my SMS and contacts now and then transfer them back to my 3.0 phone?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by luvmyfone; 2009-09-15 at 03:23 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
    iPhone 2G 8gb - version 1.1.4 unlocked/jailbreak (iLiberty+)
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 2.1 unlocked (Universal Sim V550) / jailbreak (QuickPwn)
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 3.0 unlocked (Ultrasn0w) / jailbreak (Redsn0w)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

*With 3.1 firmware out, you could wait till a Jailbreak/unlock is released which should be soon we hope. Otherwise..............
    *You will need to update iTunes to ver.8.2 or 8.2.1, A simple Google search will get you the info and a link for this. ((Do not update to 9.0)
    *3.0 or 3.0.1 doesn't really matter only an SMS exploit change in the firmware.
    *You can leave the sim card in during the entire process.
    *As far as T-Zones, I would imagine as long asyou kept the same APN settings it will work.
    *Your contacts, music and pictures will return once you sync with iTunes when your done with the J/B and unlock.
    **I can not stress enough how important it is to make sure when you restore that you set it up as a NEW PHONE and not from a back-up, this will cause you tons of problems.
    * As far as you SMS, if you are familiar with SSHing into your phone I can tell you how to do that, otherwise it will be lost.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

luvmyfone (2009-09-15)

Thank you very much blkcadi for your response. I have read somewhere here before if you have sim adapter like the one I have (Universal Sim), I should remove it. Is that true?

Another question... I found another post here, Apple Releases iTunes 8.2, Jailbreakers beware. Should I just update my iTunes to 8.1.1?

Can you please give me more information about backing up my SMS? I have done SSHing before but I don't know which file is for my SMS and the location where they are saved. When I'm done with JB and unlocking, how do I put back my old SMS?

I'm running Windows XP on my computer in case you need that information. Thanks again.

bump... bump

just want to say i have successfully unlocked and updated my iPhone 3G to 3.0 from 2.1. the only thing i need to do is to restore my old SMS and Apps.

is there a way to download all the Apps i have bought in iTunes store in one click? it's gonna take me forever to search and download everything

so far, my T-Zones is working but speed is half as fast as it used to be. i can finally do MMS now
    Last edited by luvmyfone; 2009-09-15 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone 3G 8gb - version 2.1 unlocked (Universal Sim V550) / jailbreak (QuickPwn)

Thanks

Nice job on getting updated and jailbroken. Unfortunately since you have already restored you can no longer retrieve the old SMS.
    Hope that you removed the Sim adapter, that should no longer be needed. Congartes on figuring out that you needed ultrasn0w to unlock it also. I thought you would post up again last night and I would have given you a bit more info on that as well as SSHing for your data you wanted.
    As far as your apps from The AppStore you can just sync your phone with iTunes and they will be installed as well as all your contacts, pics and music.
    Enjoy.

hi. i was able to retrieve the sms.db file by Winscp SSH before i restored my phone. is that the only file i need? please let me know the steps on how to restore my old SMS. thanks!

Thanks

Simply put in the same location that you removed it from in user/library. Proud of you, you did your homework.
    The steps I use are,
    SSH in to your phone and copy the entire /Users/Library folder to your computer
    Then once I have my phone re-jailbroken I Replace the mail, sms, safari, weather, addressbook, and call history folders with the one from my computer.
    You're done. You've got all the call history, SMS, bookmarks and history from the web (even the cookies), mail, contacts, and you don't even have to set your weather back up. Everything is just like it was, but you are on a fresh install and your phone will be noticeably faster.