Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Migrate 2G to 3GS

Default Migrate 2G to 3GS
    Hi there,

Just wondering how to go about migrating from 2G unlocked/jailbroken to 3GS. I don't plan to jailbreak 3GS yet. Sorry if silly question but can I just move the SIM card from 2G and use it on the 3GS with smooth transition not jailbroken?

Thanks

I think I found an article for it...

How to replace an original iPhone with an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS

If this is the same method for an unlocked/jailbroken iphone. Will I be able to restore the new 3GS with the backup data of the 2nd gen iphone - keeping all of the jailbroken/unlocked status? Or will I have to redo everything?

Also, if I sell the 2nd gen iphone. Can I restore the iphone without the sim and then unlock/jailbreak it for the new owner without the sim? Thanks
    Last edited by SoulfulGrooves; 2009-09-13 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Far to little information to give an answer.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

What firmware is the 2G on?
    Yes you can move the sim into the 3GS but the backup *might* cause a problem..

and yes you can jailbreak/unlock w/o a sim but not on 3.1 at the moment.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

4. The Following User Says Thank You to angiepangie For This Useful Post:

SoulfulGrooves (2009-09-14)

The 2G is on firmware 3.0.

So correct me if I'm wrong but I can create a backup from the 2G with Firmware 3.0 - then connect the 3GS on iTunes and do a restore of the backup?

Thanks

Yeah.. shouldn't be a problem.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

7. The Following User Says Thank You to angiepangie For This Useful Post:

I would not do that. Just synch the 3G. you won't lose a lot but could save a lot of hassle.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Thanks

^That's true as well. You can also back up the SMS & Call logs through SSH if those are of ridiculous importance to you...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to angiepangie For This Useful Post:

Thanks for replies. So lets say if I wanted to unlock the 3GS now due to some posts I've read about the baseband and the 3.1. I'll have to unlock/jailbreak the 3GS, and a sync would not be then recommended?

So essentially I can jailbreak the 3GS the same way as I would with the 2G with FW 3.0?

Thanks again

Thanks

You can only unlock the 3GS if it's on FW 3.0 or 3.0.1 with Baseband 4.26.08.
    You can sync, just it wouldn't be advisable to restore from backup.
    And the unlock is a little difference but the Jailbreak is pretty much the same.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to angiepangie For This Useful Post:

Thanks.. if I just sync it, will I get to choose the 3.0 over the 3.1? And if I install FW 3.1 am I able to restore back to 3.0? Thank you..

Thanks

No it will not change the FW if you sync it.
    You cannot downgrade a 3GS.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to angiepangie For This Useful Post: