Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock your Iphone 3G with 3.0 firmware

Thumbs up Unlock your Iphone 3G with 3.0 firmware
    Dear all,

First of all, this solutions works, because I have an iPhone 3G and couldn't use it because i'm in a country where i can't make a contract and use it...

So here are the steps:

Caution #1 : Please proceed further only if you have an iPhone 3G!

Caution #2 : A restore is going to wipe the iPhone clean. Hence, please make a backup of all the info using iTunes and then proceed.

Step 1) Download Files (Please read the following carefully)

Download the following files ONLY if you have an Official iPhone contract with your cell carrier (ATT and others….)

iPhone 3G 3.0 Custom Firmware Not Activated Official Carriers Part 1
    iPhone 3G 3.0 Custom Firmware Not Activated Official Carriers Part 2

OR

Download the following files ONLY if you don’t have iPhone contract (T-Mobile and others…)

* iPhone 3G 3.0 Custom Firmware Activated for Other Carriers Part 1
    * iPhone 3G 3.0 Custom Firmware Activated for Other Carriers Part 2

Step 2) Join the downloaded files

* The files downloaded above have an extension .001 and .002. They need a special opensource (free) software HJSplit to join.

* Download HJSplit to join both the files – Link for Windows Computers here and Macs here.

Step 3) Restore the firmware in iTunes 8.2

* You should now have the respective firmware file with an extension .ipsw . Please follow the steps in order.

* Launch iTunes and connect the iPhone to your Mac / Windows computer.

* Put your iPhone in DFU Mode. To do that:

* Turn your iPhone off. Press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time for 10 seconds.

* After exactly 10 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the Home button until iTunes pops up a message saying that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

* The iPhone will show you a blank screen (black).

* Click on ‘Ok’ to the prompt displayed and hold Option key on your Mac and then hit Restore button. For Windows, hold the shift key and then hit the restore button. In the dialog box that pops up, browse the downloaded custom firmware file.

* Give it few minutes to perform the restore.

* Once the iPhone is up and running, proceed for software Unlock using Cydia.

To do that:

* Turn WiFi ‘On’ on your iPhone 3G and connect to a Wireless Access point (WiFi). (Create an AdHoc WiFi Access point if there is no WiFi access)

* Disable 3G on your iPhone if you are on an unsupported frequency (T-Mobile). Other carriers, try disabling and then enable once unlocked!

* Launch Cydia on your iPhone 3G and download the necessary upgrades if prompted and hit ‘Restart Springboard’ when done.

* Tap on ‘Manage’ at the bottom and choose ‘Sources’. Now hit the Edit button at the top right corner and now hit the Add button.

* Enter repo666.ultrasn0w.com when prompted with ‘Enter Cydia/APT URL’ dialog and hit the ‘Add Source’ button.

* Once it refreshes, return to Cydia and hit the ‘Done’ button and tap the top most entry shown.

* Now tap Ultrasn0w -> choose the install button and Confirm. Now return to the main menu in Cydia.

* Restart your iPhone and boom, you should see your carrier signal!

**EDIT CPJR- Link removed, not allowed**

If you are stuck in somepoint just let me now.

P.S. It also activates
    Last edited by cpjr; 2009-09-12 at 04:54 AM. Reason: P.S. It also activates

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does the unsupported carrier sim card have to be in the iphone during this process or can it be a supported sim card in there. Im with rogers and my phone is from them, but will be travelling to a different country where i want to use a local carrier sim card. so i have to do this with my rogers sim card installed... will it work???
    thanks

error 1600

i tried and nothign...kept error 1600
    Last edited by inthawind2; 2009-09-12 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jazz1one View Post
    Does the unsupported carrier sim card have to be in the iphone during this process or can it be a supported sim card in there. Im with rogers and my phone is from them, but will be travelling to a different country where i want to use a local carrier sim card. so i have to do this with my rogers sim card installed... will it work???
    thanks
    No SIM has to be in the phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

!!!!!!!Help
    Last edited by xaitu; 2009-09-14 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by jazz1one View Post
    thanks

U don't need to put any sim... Or u can use it after everything to test it

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inthawind2 View Post
    error 1600

i tried and nothign...kept error 1600
    You are sure you are in DFU mode correctly?
    Press POWER + HOME for 10 sec, than release POWER and keep HOME pressed for further 10 seconds and let iTunes recognize it. Should work in any case.
    Last edited by salahudeen; 2009-09-14 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Please help me out. after using the 3.0.1 restore what do i use to jail break and to unblock the network again??