Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G firmware upgrade

Default iPhone 3G firmware upgrade
    hey everyone, i have a 3G iPhone unlocked at 2.2 from quickpwn and i wish to upgrade to 3.0, but i am a bit hesitant about the whole process since it has been quite awhile since i have done any of this. could someone please tell me if it is safe to do so without encountering any major problems and if it is safe, how can i do it. thank you!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Go to iTunes and proceed to upgrade your phone to 3.0.1. Feel free to download 3.0 FW and shift+restore (option+restore on Mac) instead of upgrading. You might as well just go 3.0.1 there really is no big diff, the baseband doesn't change from 3.0 to 3.0.1. There is no risk really, unless you do everything wrong and mess up. Since ultrasn0w runs on the most recent baseband since 3.0, you won't have to preserve the baseband and worry about screwing yourself into not being able to unlock (if you need it).

Download the latest version of redsn0w and jailbreak. Install (manage>sources>edit>add) in Cydia repo666.ultrasn0w.com/ then install ultrasn0w to unlock.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

cyberduelist2 (2009-09-07)

Thanks

Another thing to add, you're going to need to set up your phone as new to avoid any problems (which usually arise from people restoring from a backup).
    You'll lose SMS logs, call logs, pictures from camera rolls, game saves, and settings but your apps, contacts, music, and anything else you sync with iTunes will still be there.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

5. The Following User Says Thank You to angiepangie For This Useful Post:

cyberduelist2 (2009-09-07)

thank you, got it to work!