Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak/Unlock to latest version - Where to begin?

Default Jailbreak/Unlock to latest version - Where to begin?
    I bought a 3G iPhone and am using it with Tmobile w/ a turbosim since December. If I remember correctly, January may have been the last time I updated it...I have been out of the scene since then.

I have firmware 2.1 (5F136) carrier 2.6. How can I get from this to the most latest/jailbroken/unlocked version

1.Restore device(If you want it to be fast and better battery life)
    2.DFU Mode to update to the Newest 3.0.1(.1 is for a security fix)
    3.Jailbreak with Redsn0w
    4.Get iPhone set up and connect with wifi
    5.Install Ultra Sn0w from Cydia(Should be in favorites)

SWEET!! Just what I was looking for. This should point me in the right direction. I'll follow other tuts and see how far I can get .

Default redsn0w doesnt recognize the 3.01 firmware!
    What do i do? Went with updatinig to 3.01 and then tried using RedSn0w but it doesnt recognize my formware!!
    Please help
    Thanks
    JJB

Quote Originally Posted by jbaboun View Post
    What do i do? Went with updatinig to 3.01 and then tried using RedSn0w but it doesnt recognize my formware!!
    Please help
    Thanks
    JJB
    point redsnow at a 3.0 firmware (of the appropriate phone of course). (you'll have to download one if you don't have it, be sure to not use safari)
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as the thread starter. I unlocked my 3g using yellowsnow, back when it first came out.

Now, all I have to do is download the update from itunes, update my phone, then run redsnow?

It just seems a little scary and I'd like to verify first, I remember when yellowsnow came out, if you upgraded to the wrong version your baseband was un-unlockable!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^ you'll be fine, ultrasn0w will unlock it after the jailbreak. No worries.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

sam.c (2009-08-20)

Great. Thanked.

edit
    Ugh. Like I said, it's been a while. I updated to 3.0.1 via iTunes, and now I've got redsnow open. It's asking for the IPSW. Where can I download this ipsw as a separate file?
    Last edited by sam.c; 2009-08-20 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-08-20 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks. I've got the redsnow downloaded already, and I am now searching for the .ispw file that redsnow requires.

I've got the redsnow application open, and it's asking for the corresponding ISPW file, and the ISPW is what I do not have.

Thanks

Let me make sure I have this straight... What I'm doing is basically a normal jailbreak with redsn0w (good link btw, thanks!)....
    Once that is up and running, I install Ultrasn0w via the Cydia Store and this is the prog/app that actually unlocks the phone to be used with T-Mobile?